Selection strength

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by C.Norris, Aug 17, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What's happenin, seen a lot of posts about the 1.5 mile run times but haven't seen anything about the strength tests. Anyone who has been through the current selection tests can ya posts what results you got on the strength machines or point out where this has been said before

Cheers

2. Some changes will be made starting 5 Sep 11. I'll see if I can dig out any details.

3. Super mate cheers as I will be going through it all after that datE

4. Isn't it just 2 min best effort press ups and sit ups anymore? :?

5. No press-ups or sit-ups. (hasn't been for aaaages). As of 05 Sep 11 - Powerbag lift to replace ammo box lift as an RMT. Changes to the run times for Para entry. Couple of other minor bits.

The reason the strength tests aren't mentioned as often as the run is that you cannot fail them.

6. Mmm ok mate thanks was just wondering what other people maybe got, even though you can't fail them I want to be one of the best at all the tests

7. Unless you have no spine, no bone structure, and the muscular mass of a stapler, you will not fail the strength tests. One only needs to look at the quality of SuT's coming through the door to see that these tests are not stringent enough.

From memory, the tests are basically anassessed dorsal raise, an assessed shoulder press, and the ability to lift an ammo box (now replacedby a Powerbag, as stated). Nothing that a potential soldier should struggle with. I've got the sheet somewhere if you're desperate for the exact tests.

Get out and do plenty of running. Also, press ups, sit ups and a bit of tabbing, as thats all that will matter while you're a SuT. If like me, you like the gym, then have a look at Olympic Lifting (get a PTI or a decent personal trainer to show you), deadlifts, squats and compound exercises. Bicep Curls and a few reps on the bench press isn't going to help. Also, potentially some plyometrics and general power work, just to complement the Press Ups and Sit Ups and work on your explosiveness for the PFT/CFT.

As a guide, if you can do 44 good form press ups, 50 good form sit ups and pass the 1.5 mile run in under 10:30, you'll be fine on the strength tests. I'd warrant that the majority of your intake will view this minimum standard as something to aim for, rather than something to be surpassed.

Any other Q's, feel free to PM me.

P

• Like Like x 1
  8. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

Maybe wrong thread, dont you youngsters do the firemans carry 200ms with bergens anymore?

9. Cheers for the reply praetorian.. Yea I keep hearing it easy to pass etc. But I done a week work experiance with the army letting us in on basic things to come.
    about 40 male soldiers, bit less for female, at ballykinler.. All fitness tests and a night in the field, awards cerwmoney at end and I picked up best pt and best male soldier

Because I know I can be the best in a group I will. I wanted to see people results to drive me further in beating people/ my own mind

10. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

With regards to PHYSICAL SELECTION STANDARDS (RECRUITS) (PSS(R)):

a. Jerry Can Carry
    b. Back Extension Strength
    c. Static Lift Strength
    d. Dynamic Lift Strength
    e. Under-Grasp Heaves
    f. 1.5 mile (2.4 km) run (i.e. Aerobic Fitness Assessment (AFA)).

The strength tests are still for data capture. From the list above, tests b & c will be impossible for the selectee to gauge how well s/he has performed as they are pulling/pushing against a fixed wire connected to machine which displays a number that denotes the effort put in. Those numbers mean nothing to either the selectee or the PTIs conducting the tests, but are fed in to a data base for analysis.

The jerry can carry involves carrying 2 x jerry cans for 5 lengths of a 30m lane at the same steady pace as the PTI conducting the test.

The aim of the Dynamic Lift Strength is to measure the weight that can be lifted to a height of 1.45 metres (which is the equivalent height of the back of a 4 ton vehicle). The maximum weight aimed for is 55Kg, although they start you off at a lower weight and increase the load till you get to the max weight. Starting weight for males was 30Kg and 20Kg for females. In reality (certainly at ADSC Pirbright) they would just start the lads on the max weight as most could just bang it straight out. Those that couldn't had their their weight reduced by 5Kg increments till they could make the lift.

With Under-Grasp Heaves, if you're going to practise these, do them properly, i.e. heave your body up until your chin is over the beam with your chest touching the bottom of the beam and then you are to lower under control until your arms are straight. The PTIs will discount those heaves where you don't lower yourself all the way down and straighten your arms. When I was being trained as an instructor there, the Training Team said that the average for males was 4 heaves and 0 for females (this was Regulars).

Hope this helps.

11. Bloody hell, I could pass that now and i'm a fat cnut! Surely thats a bit on the easy side?

12. The tests are designed to make sure that its safe for people to begin training. Hence the Risk Reduction Run...under 14 minutes for a PFA.

13. Is the PFA the same format as the old BPFA run? i.e. 1.5mi as a group first, and then 1.5mi best effort?

I can see the point from a risk reduction step, but I would have thought they'd want people who show determination and self-motivation by getting fit before walking in the door.

To paraphrase my old Sgt: "14 minutes?! My nan could run that, and she's dead!"

14. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

0.5 mile squadded warm up followed by 1.5 mile best effort.

When we were being 'trained to train' the Regular ADSC staff said that ACIOs tried to have the potential recruits (PR) at the stage where they were already getting 11 mins 30 sec before they attend Selection. The ACIOs were doing this with their 'get fit' clubs that they hold for PRs, with the aim that if they are at that level when they start, then they should comfortably reach the pass times when they finish Phase 1.

The ADSC staff recommended that we adopt a similar approach as the modulated TA Phase 1 would mean a shorter time, as well as having less structured PT sessions, for an improvement in fitness to occur to the required level. The truth is that very few units will get that fussy when sending their PRs to Selection as warm bodies are at a premium in most TA Centres.