Selection Process

Discussion in 'RLC' started by 1990Dave, Mar 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello, I am planning on joining the forces sometime soon and the ammo tech trade has caught my eye. I am slightly bewildered to the selection process after looking at other forums. What I was wondering about is being selected after basic training. If I failed this selection test would I be able to re-trade and if so would it have to be within the RLC?

Furthermore I hear there is a "head-shrink" test, is this true and if so why do they need it.

Finally if worse comes to worse and my only option is to re-trade to a "undesirable" job, would I be able to leave and return to civvy street?

Thanks in advance

2. I believe the most important ability for an ammo tech is the ability to fit 30 rounds (no more, no less) into a little brown card box. Only the nimble fingered will pass selection.
  3. Lets not forget the ability to place yourself on a pedestal so high it gives normal people a nose bleed
  4. Would thinking outside the little brown box and threatening to "pack" the bullets in the selection staff's torsos help me pass the selection process?
  5. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

6. Well thats a crack in the nuts. Anyway can anybody answer my questions please?
  7. Also have slicing wit to deal with boring one liners from strange individuals. :D

Looks like another one that failed selection :oops:
  8. Don't worry about the psychometric testing. Its done at Sgt level (i believe now) and was never a big deal anyway.

There are just a series of hoops you have to jump through to start trade training. There is little point trying to guide you through the stages as it really wouldn't mean that much to you.

The main thing is make sure your Maths and English is up to scratch and you have some positive reasons why you want to join the trades.
  9. How correct. It's every little boy's dream to be an ammo tech.
  10. That was sarcasm for all those ATs out there.

PS- For clarity- No, I've never attempted selection for the glorious AT trade.
  11. Maybe not telling the DS that you also posted on ARRSE regarding thinking of joining the Sappers as a sparkie would be a good move.
    Regarding having to re-trade as you so quaintly putting it, everything else is down hill so I suggest you try the Samaritans before you find yourself stacking blankets, (God forbid) driving big trucks or even worse having to drink with those that do.
  12. Chibber, I think AT55's Avatar applies to you.
  13. Thx so far, Il give u the skinny, ive got 9 A-C grades (C in all the quals required as a minimum). Im most likly going to end up some alright A-levels (C in ICT, D/C in History and C in films studies(As)) at the end of the summer. Im working towards my Duke of Edinborough Gold award and have plenty of volunteer hours. Im also taking a gap year going traviling for 4-6 months. Il be 19ish when applying if everythings hunky dory. Have i got a fair chance of getting "selected", i understand the AT trade is very competitive?

Please dont take the p i s s if im over or under qualified, i really have no idea of what there after.

14. Men that shag army girls are just too lazy to ****. Every soldier is a ******, if you want to see my technique get yourself up to Catterick and you can watch me stretch one out. Maybe you'll learn a thing or two.
  15. Your ok with the quals. Its also good that you are getting out and about and seeing a bit of life. If you do get in the trade you could be a Sgt in 4 years.

As far as getting selected, it's not as cut and dried as it sounds, even if you were to come top in all the tests you still have to sit infront of a selection board. If you don't pass face gauge you don't get in.