Selection day

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Maybe, Sep 14, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've tried searching for this, but had no joy, well I've found conflicting info.
    Can anyone tell me what to expect on the selection day, all anyone bangs on about is the 1.5 mile run, what else is involved?

Thanks,

2. Friday turn up with briefing issued with green overalls and bib with your number for the weekend, make bed and get your head down (you won't get much sleep)

Saturday, up about 6ish (shit,shower,shave). Strip bed and off to breakfast, back from breakfast, then you will do a grenade lesson (take notes) a barb test and gym test I.e lifting some light weights and chin ups and Jerry can walk over 150meters, in any order then group 1.5mile run with 800meter warm up. Shower changed then off to lunch. Then throwing grenades with alot of running about. Then team tasks (good fun) pack gear final briefing and dismissal. Be aware lots of boring presentations and the whole day feels like a week. Finish about 15:00ish.

3. Home in time for tea!

4. Maybe a Sfq, why do you do the Barb test again?

5. Again? I only did it once

6. I've done the Barb already at my local careers office, guess I'll just have to wait and see.

7. just to clarify, its now a static lift, jerry can walk and a mile and a half run for the phys. plus the team tasks and the grenade practical (plus a bit of friendly relay competition with grenades and crawling under cargo nets.

thoroughly enjoyable 24 hours.

edit: 6am would have been a lovely lie in. it was more like 0520hrs. plus we did our barb test as soon as we arrived so switch on ASAP!

8. My joining instructions say to be at the T.A centre for 07:00 and that return will be at about 18:00, is that what you did?

9. Where is your selection? It should be at ADSC Pirbright

10. Hello, I used to work in our recruitment team and was involved in the first of these selection days and still take guys down, I have to question what you think you have been told.

Where abouts are you? Where are you going for your selection?

I ask because none of the ADSCs that I know run like that, they run like mentioned, up in friday night, back early saturday afternoon. Even those on who go up on saturday don't come back till sunday. Not saying its wrong, maybe your brigade is different but I would best check with your unit first.

As for the BARB, you may of done it at your ACIO, but your actual one will be at the ADSC.

11. Only those in the south go to Pirbright, there is more than one ADSC

12. I'm joining the RLC, going to Waterbeach, just reread joining instructions and it says "You should arrive at this TA Centre no later than 0700 hrs on Saturday 8th October 2011. Return to ............. Will be at approximately 1800hrs on that day"

What was the point of doing the Barb and being given a score at the recruitment office (Appointment was made by the TA centre) if it doesn't count?

13. The selection has changed recently (this month). A recent selection day schedule was:

0900-0930: Arrive at TA Selection Centre
    0930-1000: Issue kit
    1000-1100: Stand and Talk (5 minute presentation on yourself)
    1100-1115: Change into sports kit
    1115-1215: Team tasks
    1215-1245: Lunch
    1245-1345: Physical Assessment (Powerbag Static Lift, Jerry Cans, 1.5 run)
    1345-1445: Debrief

I'm sure each centre does things slightly differently. Go with the information on your Joining Instructions, they will be correct.

14. I bloody hope that hasn't changed because, to be blunt, that selection is total dogshiit

Where is the briefs on the army ? The lifestyle ? the commitment ?

Where is the lesson and powers of retention ?

Physical assessment straight after lunch ? Only an hour for team tasks ?

I can understand cutting the BARB as long as its done at the local ACIO, but I quite liked the idea of a BARB on the selection, its a change of pace the candidates aren't always prepared for

It seems that selection is more about doing the bare minimum to tick of that they have done one, not about ensuring the right person suited for the army joins. On the ones we did you would over 24hrs with your section and you can write something worthwhile, that amount of time I would barely know their names

15. "I bloody hope that hasn't changed because, to be blunt, that selection is total dogshiit"

Eathaboi: It was definately very straight forward, some of the chaps on the course would've struggled with 'learning' related tests.

"Where is the briefs on the army ? The lifestyle ? the commitment ?"

Eathaboi:To be fair, the Mercian lot had tied it in with a lifestyle course and spent the night wild camping and had stuff lined up for Sunday. But other capbadges were just there for the selection.

"Where is the lesson and powers of retention ? "

Eathaboi: None, although I personally have a tech selection weekend next that will test this. Can't say whether this is the same for other capbadges though.

"Physical assessment straight after lunch ? Only an hour for team tasks ?"

Eathaboi: Agreed, not ideal. Although we did get through 3 team tasks in the hour, other sections only two.

"I can understand cutting the BARB as long as its done at the local ACIO, but I quite liked the idea of a BARB on the selection, its a change of pace the candidates aren't always prepared for"

Eathaboi: BARB and medicals had to be completed prior to selection, so it is done. Appreciate your point though.

"It seems that selection is more about doing the bare minimum to tick of that they have done one, not about ensuring the right person suited for the army joins. On the ones we did you would over 24hrs with your section and you can write something worthwhile, that amount of time I would barely know their names"

Eathaboi: Agreed. It does raise questions on the quality of applicants filtering through the system. I can only assume it's in order to keep costs down. Though in my view that approach results in short term gain, long term pain.