Selection and Nurturing Day jerry cans

Ok brand new to forums as i need adivce, Im on an army prep course im 17 and wanting to go in as a Combat med tech, currently my personal best on fitness is 70 press ups and 60 sit ups in 2 mins, and 9:45 mile and a half.

Other day though i completed all fitness but dropped my jerry can, was absolutly destroyed totally beat me down, wondered is it an instant fail as i have heard if you drop your can at nurturing and at selection, and how hard is it when your there?

thanks, Phil

phil_CMT22 said:
Ok brand new to forums as i need adivce, Im on an army prep course im 17 and wanting to go in as a Combat med tech, currently my personal best on fitness is 70 press ups and 60 sit ups in 2 mins, and 9:45 mile and a half.

Other day though i completed all fitness but dropped my jerry can, was absolutly destroyed totally beat me down, wondered is it an instant fail as i have heard if you drop your can at nurturing and at selection, and how hard is it when your there?

thanks, Phil
It means you suck at life and should go back to working in the spar across the road for the rest of your life.

mcclurg said:
It means you suck at life and should go back to working in the spar across the road for the rest of your life.
and you're an immature cadet mong with an attitude - who, incidentally, doesn't seem to be able to remember his own advice from not a fortnight ago:

mcclurg said:
Interesting guys, but if you look carefully at parade gloss you'll realise... oh look! it's not black! it's actually a dark shade of navy. Funny that? Even better, add water and you'll see.... it goes blue!

Just because you're ex-servicemen, does not instantly make you fountains of knowledge. There are a lot of people on arrse who are extremely useful and helpful, but I can see that the minority, being those know-it-all pricks who think they should live their lives as comedians, clearly dominate this area of the forum.

Remember, respect is something you earn, not something you are entitled to. Clearly your long, long years in the army, where you passed P coy or joined the SAS or whatever you all think you did, did not teach you 2 more important things than badges:

1) How to be humble
2) How to have respect for others
we all know you're a cadet. you proved on that thread http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=97815/postdays=0/postorder=asc/start=60.html that you are a complete throbber. well done, you have finally found someone who knows even less than you. it had to happen eventually, you silly little boy.

the lad asked a genuine question. if you don't know the answer, fuck off back to the cadet hut and play with your blue boot polish.

fucking tool.

Dropping the jerricans at ADSC is an instant fail Yes, but dont get all wound up about it
A good grip and a little determination will see you in good stead.

Just try and improve your grip the jerry can walk is all about mental strength and grip actual strength doesn't play much off a part just improve your grip and grin and bear the pain.

good luck fella

Matty0001 said:
Practice walking around with a pair of 22kg dumbells and buy yourself some hand grippers to improve your grip.
you do mean them things that help train your grip?

because if you turn up with weight lifting gloves they wont let you wear them.

Chuzu said:
Matty0001 said:
Practice walking around with a pair of 22kg dumbells and buy yourself some hand grippers to improve your grip.

These.

One of the greatest items to use to improve grip is probably a sandbag, exercising with a sandbang will improve your grip no end, but i'd rather use something to simulate using a jerry can.

Chuzu said:
Matty0001 said:

I think he means an aid that exercises your grip. Thus improving it. The ones i have seen are bassically like one of the clamps that go on a bar down the gym. Compressing it improves the musscles used for grip.

When i did the naturing course in york the distance was there and back but when i go to selection in glencourse the distance was there back there back there seemed a lot further to me

Its a mind over matter thing, Just keep your mind on the end and just hold on to them jerry cans like its a pole and your hanging over a cliff.

At a guess my tips would be:

- Toughen your hands. It's going to hurt with it slipping for a while, so toughen your hands up prior to it by lifting weights without gloves. They should be rougher over time and less likely to hurt from getting used to the friction on free weights/sandbags or whatever you use.

- Practice it. Use www.mapmyrun.com/ to plan the distance and practice it for a few weeks every day. Fill up buckets with rocks/bricks/weight plates to the weight of 20kg on each and carry it on your route.

- Push yourself. Even on a practice run, if your hands feel like they are being torn apart keep going and progress your distance further each time you do it.

- Free weights. If you're training for the jerry can test, you are no doubt training for the rest of the selection. Machines are crap for training, thats the blatent truth. Free weights are designed to put more natural strain on your muscles incorporating more groups and allowing you to perform more lifts. Best way to train is by strength. Lateral raises, bicep curls, bench pressing, deadlifts, squats etc.. will help build strength providing you use weights heavy enough to only allow you to perform 2-5 reps.

It might sound extreme for something simple, but if you want to pass, you might aswell do it well.

Chuzu said:
Just try and improve your grip the jerry can walk is all about mental strength and grip actual strength doesn't play much off a part just improve your grip and grin and bear the pain.

good luck fella
Grin and bear the pain? From jerry cans? What pain ?!

:D :D :D :D

heyy i did a selction corse only yesterday i have never lifted a jerry can until then

im only 15 just old enuf to go to the selection center i got

9:15 on the 1.5 mile run
25 heves (pull ups) and there alot harder the way they make you do them
jerry cans didnt drop them but i really did want to i got to the 4 lap and i felt them slipping but i though do i really want to go into the army if i do grip like a bitch

only advice i can give you is as soon as you feel them slipping a bit just keep them in your hand no matter what the pain

loll, so your advice, JoebyA, is.....don't drop the jerry cans?
best advice by FAR on this thread so far is from Odus. Free weights, practice and leathered hands.

Practice holding on to dumbells at a weight you can only just pick off of the floor with textured handles, go for as long as possible, and do it all the time, your hands will thank you in the long run

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Army Reserve 2
M Royal Signals 0
M Officers 14