Selecting which EU Country to get a passport for, Italy, Poland or Germany?

philc

LE
So the wife is thinking of getting a second passport like so many others, seems quite the thing. nothing to do with Brexit in that she is upset about it, more of because she can.

So Italian mother, Polish father, however the father was born in that Polish part that the Germans had during their Imperial State of Germany, so technically he was German even though he hated them.

I suggested Italy as she is fluent, but Germany could be an option as she jogs along in that, her Polish being a bit more basic.

So which to plump for and can I then get in on the act by being married, would love a German passport just for the crack.

You didn't even make it hard. Poland. I married a Polka and definitely will retire there. Lower cost of living, better quality of life and pretends to be in the EU. And as the wife says, they'll burn the first mosque down that's built there.

Never was particularly religious but I appreciate a strong Catholic country these days. Italy is very 'progressive'.

You didn't even make it hard. Poland. I married a Polka and definitely will retire there. Lower cost of living, better quality of life and pretends to be in the EU. And as the wife says, they'll burn the first mosque down that's built there.

Apart from the mosques that they already have there then?

Apart from the mosques that they already have there then?
I dunno what you have googled. But it is very wrong. Actually I take it back. They have built one in Gdansk (unsurprising with the high student population) then you have the other one existing somewhere on the Lithuanian border.

Last edited:
Writing as a linguistic numpty, completely ignore basing your decision(s) on what language(s) you currently speak.

Anyone of average, or above, intelligence can learn a language to the level that matches their earning ability. The point is motivation, not previously practiced skills. I am now B2 in my third language, purely because there was no choice but to learn. The usual evening classes are three hours twice a week, plus about eight hours in your own time (and forty plus hours of some (any) sort of jobs). You can manage that for the necessary year or eighteen months. Just do it.

Edit: Poland. It is the strongest and most stable of those three countries. Italy is already effectively a failed state.

Show me a picture of this mosque and you win this argument.

You have just said that you acknowledge that there are mosques in Poland.

Show me a picture of this mosque and you win this argument.
52BD42BB-DEFC-46C7-948B-62BF944334BB.jpeg
AC4AEC83-3A40-4824-85FE-7A5C601B0E24.jpeg
9D5EABAA-9438-4BA8-B3E9-E76C5085A32F.jpeg
82E7DFD6-9DB8-4C21-AAD7-4B6D688CF508.jpeg

So the wife is thinking of getting a second passport like so many others, seems quite the thing. nothing to do with Brexit in that she is upset about it, more of because she can.

So Italian mother, Polish father, however the father was born in that Polish part that the Germans had during their Imperial State of Germany, so technically he was German even though he hated them.

I suggested Italy as she is fluent, but Germany could be an option as she jogs along in that, her Polish being a bit more basic.

So which to plump for and can I then get in on the act by being married, would love a German passport just for the crack.
Does that actually work? I can get an Irish passport, but ØA has no entitlement to one.

philc

LE
Does that actually work? I can get an Irish passport, but ØA has no entitlement to one.

Not sure, it’s just a fun conversation piece that has led to mild irritation amongst some Remainers, you voted to leave yet you can live in the EU and we can’t.

There are a few on dual citizenship but, I seem to recall that Merkel said, after the transition period applying for German dual citizenship from a non-EU country would be problematic and, IIRC a few other EU countries chipped in as well.

I have a Scottish friend who lives and works in Berlin, he became a German citizen,rather than fart about after we left !

It's funny you mention that, at the age I am now and with the wife having issues getting employment I may well be inclined to migrate to Europe (after she qualified for British citizenship), I hold a paddy passport so technically her and sprog can accompany me and see how the grass is greener... where to thou?

Latest Threads