Selected from Basic for a Commission?

Discussion in 'Officers' started by Samurai, Jul 1, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good evening, fine Arrsers!
    I'm feeling a bit confused right now and would really appreciate any advice you can offer.

I am currently applying to join the Army as a CMT, and I am waiting on my date for selection, having had my interview with the Sergeant Major at my local AFCO yesterday. However, during the course of the interview he informed me that he felt that perhaps I was more suited to becoming an Officer.

I achieved decent GCSE grades at school, but they were not as good as they should have been, as I was rather an under-achiever in my teenage years - a fact I much regret. Bottom line is, I don't have the qualifications to go straight into Sandhurst.

The SM said, however, that it may be possible to be selected from early on in a soldiering career to receive a commission.

So, my questions are; How often does this happen, and what are my chances?

Many thanks for your time.
  2. The powers that be be seem to be doing this in my local area too, however that is with the TA.
    If I were you I would look into it and consider it as one of your options. It cant hurt can it?
    The way I see it, is that is a door that perhaps previously you would not have considered walking through. However now the opportunity is there, perhaps it is worth considering.
    My humble advice rto you is this.
    Research as much as you can. From initial training through to career progression, search inside your own self, would you rather be led or lead.
    If anything it is an option for you to consider. Take your time and make the choice that is right for you.
    Good luck.
  3. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Check your PM.

4. Its not commonplace for people to commision from the ranks at all, the average at Sandhurst was 3% of the Academy were serving soldiers, whilst I was there anyway.

Consider it as an option but dont flaunt it, especially when you are new in the Army, Unit, Sub Unit. I know from the experiences of mates of mine from when i was a Tom that saying "I am not here for long, I am going to be an Orrifice" goes down like a right royal kick in the throat.

From a personal point of view (from 7 years spent as a Tom before going to Sandhurst) I would suggest the following:

*Join the Army in whatever capacity suits, capbadgewise.

*Keep it relatively quiet about the whole Officer thing, only include people in the know that will write your reports so they can pitch your annuals against your aspirations (if that is your aspiration)

*Do a minimum of 2 years in the field Army (not including training). This will give you invaluable experience and exposure to those you will, potentially, lead.

*Humility is not a dirty word........'Cludge' is a dirty word!

Feel free to PM me but there really is a wealth of info regarding this topic in here.
  5. Can I just ask why CMT?
  6. So you have someone to bitch about? :D
  7. ahh, I knew there had to be a good reason, a bloke with that sort of education wouldnt have just gone for CMT without a cunning plan!
  8. A huge thank you for all of the replies - you've all been a great help.

Perhaps I should have mentioned in the original post that I'm female, hence the choice of CMT. It seems to me to be my best bet at 'real soldiering'. I'm probably wrong, but hey - at least I'm genuinely interested in the medical side, too.

I got a call from the Sergeant at my local AFCO today, and got my date for selection. I've decided to go for CMT, knuckle down, do my best and get on with it. Then whatever happens, happens.

Thanks again!
  9. ODP is the way ahead if youre going RAMC.
  10. I spoke to my recruiter and he said I may be taken from basic for a commission because I have A levels. The view of officers that I have is that they just supervise soldiers which was why I was interested in a soldier career instead. Problem is that he said once commissioned, I wouldn't be able to go back in the same corps.

Anyone know if this is true?
  11. I have heard that is a issue. You can't go from being one of the lads to being in a role of authority with them because they would see you in your previous capacity.

That said if the regiment is large enough I don't see why you couldn't transfer to another section if you could get back to that regiment.

This is from a civ so I could be miles out but thats the jist of what I have picked up.
  12. Ian1983, I have a good friend who was a Cpl in the Sigs, who commisioned and stayed within the Corps.

I know our Corps is a large one, but it happened all the same.

BTW, the bloke couldn't pass his EFP threshold test beforehand FFS!

13. I have heard of it happening in bigger corps (being a civ I have no idea how often) but because of my lack of current experience I will happily shut up from now on.
  14. If you're going to be a CMT, what would you commission as? MSO? Is that really what you want to do?