Seen a yob mugging an old dear? - Try Jumping up and down!

Jeremy Vine interviews Home Office minister, Tony McNulty

Jeremy Vine: You see something happening in the street. Do you step in?

Tony McNulty: I think the general line must be to get in touch with the authorities straight and make sure that if things are as bad as you paint the police will be there as quickly as they can.

Jeremy: You see a young man looking aggressive, shouting at an old woman, what do you do? You retreat and ring the police?

Tony McNulty: I think you should in the first instance. It may well be the simply shouting at them, blowing your horn or whatever else deters them and they go away.

Jeremy: He's now hitting her and the police haven't come, what do you do then?

Tony McNulty: The same the same, you must always ...

Jeremy: Still wait?

Tony McNulty: Get back to the police, try some distractive activities whatever else.

Jeremy: What jump up and down?

Tony McNulty: But I would say you know sometimes that that may well work.
I don't generally have much time for Vine but he's done a good job here of showing McNulty to be the idiot and coward that he is.

It's every subject's duty to uphold the law but these cowardly b4stards thrive on a climate of crime and fear.

Maybe before going into full jumping up and down mode we should try hopping on one leg in a sort of slighty aggitated manner ?

Not everyone is equipped with the tools to face down or put down little sh1ts, either physical or mental ones. Nearly all soldiers are so equipped, but that is one of the basic tools of the job. This should not be confused with having no courage, it's just a different type of courage

Putting yourself in harm's way to protect the innocent or to prevent wrongdoing isn't seen as courageous nowadays, it's seen as a sign of stupidity and recklessness. That's the reality........

Anothermedalwonderer said:
Putting yourself in harm's way to protect the innocent or to prevent wrongdoing isn't seen as courageous nowadays, it's seen as a sign of stupidity and recklessness. That's the reality........
No

There are many cases in recent news where courage has been celebrated. I will mention but two, Sharon Beshenivsky and the London fireman who remonstrated with the bomber

Sadly I think you're right. Personaly if I didn't do something I'd feel like a gutless coward of which I think there are already far too many in this country.

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
The country is really going down the pans, two old woman were flashed the other day near my home, and one of the old dears had a stroke.

Nehustan said:
The country is really going down the pans, two old woman were flashed the other day near my home, and one of the old dears had a stroke.
The other couldn't reach

Ba boom

Sven said:
No

There are many cases in recent news where courage has been celebrated. I will mention but two, Sharon Beshenivsky and the London fireman who remonstrated with the bomber
Good to see you back even if you are wrong....

The sad thing is that your examples of acts of courage are against v obvious big "threats" and importantly, publicised. They can't be used to support the likely interaction with the police to us in dealing with more common crime.

These days stepping in to halt a fight or act as the peace maker will simply get you lifted with a charge to follow. The cops can't give a shit because their guidelines won't let them. Common sense or honour doesn't come in to it.

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
Sven said:
Nehustan said:
The other couldn't reach

Ba boom
;) my mom just told me that was a really old joke that my father told before I was born...

Sven said:
No

Well, people sort of expect people in those kind of uniformed jobs to put themselves in harms way to safeguard the public. What about the ordinary citizen who does the same?
It used to be the case were a person who wasn't prepared to defend himself or others would be considered a coward. Now there is kind of the expectation, both amongst the public and the authorities, that people should stand by and wait to be rescued, not resist, and leave it all to the professionals, who more often than not are nowhere near enough to be of any use when you need them.....

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
You can't wait for the old bill, for others or yourself. It's not their fault they can cover the ground and/or get away from paperwork. You have to act...the only other option is doing nothing...surely not an option?

(There was a picture of a street robbery in Battersea in London caught by a photographer, in 'The London Paper' tonight. Anyone have a copy to scan in the backside of the front page where the picture is, I left the copy I was reading on the train...and before you start I picked it up off a seat)

Nehustan said:
You can't wait for the old bill, for others or yourself. It's not their fault they can cover the ground and/or get away from paperwork. You have to act...the only other option is doing nothing...surely not an option?

(There was a picture of a street robbery in Battersea in London caught by a photographer, in 'The London Paper' tonight. Anyone have a copy to scan in the backside of the front page where the picture is, I left the copy I was reading on the train...and before you start I picked it up off a seat)
Google up on the advice that any given Constabulary gives in the event that you find yourself being mugged, burgled, or otherwise attacked. It will invariably state that you should not resist them, in the case of burglary, you should call the police and wait for them to arrive and clear up the mess afterwards (or not, as is often the case), do not try to save your property. Never mind that you earned it and they did not.
Now I'm not saying everbody should be obligated to fight back if they choose not to, but it kind of seems like they're making a judgement call on those citizens dim-witted enough to believe that the threat of violence does not give them the right to make off with your stuff, and take steps to stop the perpetrator doing whatever the hell he wants.
This new social attitude towards being passive in the face of crime probably encourages criminals. If everyone is told to just hand over everything you have to some low-life who walks up to you and demands it, rather than put up a fight, that makes the job of being a robbing scumbag a much easier and more rewarding endevour doesn't it?

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
I stepped in to try and stop a mate getting pasted by a local drug dealer - I got my nose plastered across my face for my efforts, but I put the dealer on his arrse; he got lifted (assault occasioning ABH) and I got £1K from CICB!

That said, it was 17 years ago and nowadays I'd probably get arrested for oppressing him. As it was I got a death threat from yon dealer, and one of my bods offered to get his brothers to 'sort him out' (don't you love family regiments).

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
PassingBells said:
True, but if you're going to call it in to the police, you should do it first. You may not have the chance later.

Is this the photo you mean Nehustan?
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/mailF...rticle_id=433275&in_page_id=1770&in_a_source=

Edited for bad grammar

yep shocking, guy in the range rover should have hung back, then accidently lost control while in pursuit...

'The defence proposes your honour in light of the terrible accident that followed that this is precisely why drivers without training should resist pursuit. This closes the defences case'

(edited to say, mind you I saw some crazy stuff as a kid and have to say did zip, so...)