Seems My Ambition to Join the HAC May be in Tatters

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by AndyPipkin, Jun 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. AFCO4 has a box requiring a declaration by your employer if you work for a government department. I do (local government). I asked my boss to sign said declaration. He asked the big boss. She made it clear that my joining the TA would be a career-limiting decision. Basically we have a policy that you can get special leave for the annual 2-week camp but 'I need to consider whether such an extended period of absence in addition to my annual leave is compatible with my position as a senior manager'.

What to do? :( 8O
  2. msr

msr LE

Easy - get your priorities straight:

Family ->Work -> TA

3. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Take the two weeks as part of your annual leave?

But msr's right about the priorities.
  4. Can't see why it can't be mate. If they were to penalise you for your 'public spirited' venture, they'd just be a bunch of tw*ts and you coluld milk that f*cker in the current climate.

How can it limit your career? Have they put this in writing? It sounds as if they are making up the rules to suit them personally. If a policy exists, then they are contravening their own policy surely?

You could go ahead and join anyway and if they decide that you are going to be passed over due to your decision, and there is no other reason, then take them to ET. Do you know any Employment Solicitors who you could chat to. This sounds like an Equal Ops issue. Get hold of that policy and make susre that there are no others which tey could use to f*ck you over.

I wouldn't join without their OK though. That would backfire badly on you.
  5. I am a solicitor, biscuits (as are quite a few in the HAC). I am lead lawyer on some very big projects and I can kinda see her point but it's a bit frustrating.
  6. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

As a member of The HAC and an ex regular, I can tell you that there are a lot of people in The TA who don't have permission from their work, there is a particular issue with coppers at the moment. At the end of the day it's your choice. Check out the SaBRE website which will give you all the official info you need.
  7. Do you know what? You can take the "advice" of your boss and spend the rest of your life wondering "what if", or just do it.

You're a solicitor for gawd's sake.... doesn't the RFA allow for you to take an employer to court if they screw you over for being a reservist?
  8. Try the Recruitment Cell for advice.... as you say, half of them will have a pretty good idea of how to handle this situation

Its not uncommon to see allot of troopers head back to their Chambers after a busy training night and crack-on to the small hours finishing work..

..this said, HAC training demands are pretty rigid at the moment and MSR makes a particualry good point:-

All things being equal: Family ->Work -> TA
  9. The truth is, it is career limiting, particularly if you're doing something your boss doesn't want you to do.

Whilst I wholeheartedly agree with the 'family-job-TA' precedence,
    if you really want to join the TA, then one way would be to get a new boss. In fact, whatever way you find of wangling your way in, you should find out your bosses true feelings on the TA. For some, your merely being in is a career ender, let alone asking for extra days off, or taking an extended trip to somewhere sandy.

It's all so dependent on circumstances. Your employer may have an official policy on the TA, and you could correct your boss on that count. You could sell it as being 'management training' (management training does not have to equate to officer training, btw). You could say "I won't take the extra leave", in which case it's not going to be much aggro your employment. However, anything that goes against your boss must be measured against your bosses potential and likely reaction.

You could just lie to the TA. The disadvantage of this last course is that, IIRC, you'll lose employment protection under the Reserve Forces Act should you be mobilised.
  10. I'm not going to lie to anyone.

Taking my employer to the employment tribunal or even hinting at it would be career-limiting, not just at my current place but for any prospective future employer - word gets around. As it is I'm testing the waters at a few other places. I don't think she's motivated by any anti-forces feeling, she's implemented a few other rather unpopular policies, such as banning us from attending chambers and law firms summer balls and garden parties. She has her reasons but that one went down like a pork chop at a bar-mitzvah, I can tell you!

Barristers in chambers are self-employed and can basically do what they want (providing they can fulfill their court commitments). Solicitors in big firms - well, the recruitment chap at HAC is one but I can imagine getting pretty much the same reaction in the big firm I used to work for as I have just had.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see if I can find a more understanding employer in future - that or give up two weeks annual leave each year (which doesn't really appeal) :(

Edited to add: Hmm, well the SaBre site was very helpful - "the support of your employer is invaluable..."
  11. I'd call her bluff and do it, you can't let other people run your life no matter how good the job.

You give up most of the prime of your life to working , what's the point if you can't do the things YOU want to do in YOUR spare time.

Just my opinion.
  12. To boss: "I'm going to join because I believe that it will enhance my inter-personal skills. Should there be a conflict between work and TA, I will leave the TA or defer my TA obligations (i.e. take Leave of Absence)because I appreciate that my full-time employment has priority."
  13. My life at work was made ultra difficult when I signed up a few years back.

Got so much flak and bovver after 8yrs loyal service I quit my job. Ended up doing agency work when not on Army work.

Has its ups and downs. Full time employers tend to run scared at interviews when they find out you're a reservist. They want you there not heading off to the ghan etc hence the reliance on agency work.

FTRS may be an option depending on family/mortgage comittments etc. You could just go for it and pick up where you left off when you come back but it doesn't suit everybody.

Hope this helps a wee bit.