Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

seeking help/advice etc.

apologies if this is in the wrong area, wasn't to sure where to post

left the Army at the start of April this year but have been searching for jobs since around January time. I'm currently on a on call firefighter course but need a second job as the money is not enough to live on (£3000-£5000) a year. so starting to think wether to re-join or not with in a couple of months if i still have no luck. I have been told that i could be back with my old regiment in around 2 weeks as a re-joiner who has been out for less than 24 months. I don't miss it that much but am willing to go back as its a guaranteed wage every month. And will save the stress of being essentially un-employed However my Partner wants me to go to the doctors as I've been suffering with mental health problems depression/anxiety etc. for a good couple of years. yet to be confirmed, but defiantly something there. I know if I see a GP it will 100% be logged on my medical records especially if diagnosed and given medication most likely then barring me from re entry on medical grounds. so do I just grizz it out to keep that option of employment open or see a doctor but then risk not being aloud back in.

It's a no-brainer, see a doctor now.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Get proper medical help as your health comes first

apologies if this is in the wrong area, wasn't to sure where to post

left the Army at the start of April this year but have been searching for jobs since around January time. I'm currently on a on call firefighter course but need a second job as the money is not enough to live on (£3000-£5000) a year. so starting to think wether to re-join or not with in a couple of months if i still have no luck. I have been told that i could be back with my old regiment in around 2 weeks as a re-joiner who has been out for less than 24 months. I don't miss it that much but am willing to go back as its a guaranteed wage every month. And will save the stress of being essentially un-employed However my Partner wants me to go to the doctors as I've been suffering with mental health problems depression/anxiety etc. for a good couple of years. yet to be confirmed, but defiantly something there. I know if I see a GP it will 100% be logged on my medical records especially if diagnosed and given medication most likely then barring me from re entry on medical grounds. so do I just grizz it out to keep that option of employment open or see a doctor but then risk not being aloud back in.
which area of the country you in PM if need be, do your service not offer on rota shifts with wholetime stations?

slick

LE
Just a few observations, but why didn`t your mental health problems cause concern when you were in the mob ?
Also if you do suffer from anxiety or any type of depression, why choose to go down the firefighter route even in an on call basis ?
Just reading between the lines, you mention your wife wants you to go to the doctors. Is it by any chance because she wants to find a reason for you to not rejoin ?.... or do you yourself think you have a serious mental health problem ?

Check this out.

Loz is a top bloke, he also understands mental health issues and will be sure to help you out.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
did you not get a training package option when you left?

the job centre will send you on an SIA course which would supplement fire fighting or a five year CSCS course is the norm at the mo.

when trains are running again platform dispatch is simple enough.

MPGS is also an option

Just a few observations, but why didn`t your mental health problems cause concern when you were in the mob ?
Also if you do suffer from anxiety or any type of depression, why choose to go down the firefighter route even in an on call basis ?
Just reading between the lines, you mention your wife wants you to go to the doctors. Is it by any chance because she wants to find a reason for you to not rejoin ?.... or do you yourself think you have a serious mental health problem ?
They did concern me then but I had already signed off at that point and just wanted to get out. I was advised that it could possibly lengthen my release due to duty of care and that. Probably bollocks but that’s what I was led to Believe. To be honest wasn’t as bad then as the whole regimented lifestyle helped a lot with it I think and kept me in check/busy etc. I’ve always had in interest in the fire service and ideally would like to go whole time but there’s no recruitment for that in my area at the minute I like the idea of it as well due to a lot of ex military joining so I feel like I would fit in to that background better than a job full of civvies. The missus has told me that if re-joining will help me out and get my life back in check then she fully supports me doing that and has no problem with me doing so. But is adamant I do speak to someone I do definitely need some form of help yes

did you not get a training package option when you left?

the job centre will send you on an SIA course which would supplement fire fighting or a five year CSCS course is the norm at the mo.

when trains are running again platform dispatch is simple enough.

MPGS is also an option
I’ve got ELC’s to use use on courses but as far as I’m aware none are running at the minute

I’ve got ELC’s to use use on courses but as far as I’m aware none are running at the minute

Dont use them on a degree course. The OU will fund veterans through their first degree.

They did concern me then but I had already signed off at that point and just wanted to get out. I was advised that it could possibly lengthen my release due to duty of care and that. Probably bollocks but that’s what I was led to Believe. To be honest wasn’t as bad then as the whole regimented lifestyle helped a lot with it I think and kept me in check/busy etc. I’ve always had in interest in the fire service and ideally would like to go whole time but there’s no recruitment for that in my area at the minute I like the idea of it as well due to a lot of ex military joining so I feel like I would fit in to that background better than a job full of civvies. The missus has told me that if re-joining will help me out and get my life back in check then she fully supports me doing that and has no problem with me doing so. But is adamant I do speak to someone I do definitely need some form of help yes
If you think you need some form of help then you need some form of help, so go and get it. Otherwise, keep schtum rejoin, and see if you feel better for being back in the mob.

Your call.

Latest Threads