Seeking advice on joining.

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by Ronny_Till, Oct 15, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Im 21 and have recently gone back to college to learn how to become a Joiner but the Royal Engineers sounds like something I really want to do with my life. After doing my own research on the net I understand that the process to become a sapper goes: Phase 1 (Basic training), Phase 2 (combat engineering), Phase 2a (Learning your trade).

After a lecture at college about careers in the army they talked about FE Bursary scheme which involves remaining at college for a year until i have completed my NVQ level 2 while receiving £1000 as a incentive to remain on the course. Looking through a brochure about the scheme it says once you have completed your college course the training process goes: Phase 1 (Basic) then Phase 2 (learn your trade).

This confuses me as it does not mention the combat engineering side which is a large aspect that attracts me to the RE.

The route I was thinking I could take is completing my NVQ course on the FE Bursary scheme (as my friend who is a Signaler said it could be up to 9 months before i start Basic) and then completing Basic and combat engineering before learning the trade which is the was i understand it to be anyway.

Sorry if this is really doesn't interest anyone or if i dont make sense, thats probably because im confused myself.

Any light that can be shed on this would be much appreciated.
  2. you don't join just to get £1000 Ronny mate, as to advising you please do a "SEARCH" rather than everyone on here just rehashing information that we have trotted out countless times about joining The Corps.
  3. You may have already seen this.

Your confusion may have arisen because the recruiting info is written in a "one size fits all approach" that the RE differ slightly from. Essentially Phase 1 is your "basic" military training that every soldier has to do and Phase 2 is the "Special to Arm" training that is specific to the Arm or Service that you're joining. Where the RE differ slightly is that Phase 2 is further broken down into Phase 2a - Combat Engineering and Phase 2b - trade training.

You need to speak to a Army Careers Advisor on this really but the idea of the scheme is that, based on your civilian qualifications, there may be scope for you to "fast-track" through Phase 2b and get to the Field Army much more quickly.
  4. ok thanks, I met with my careers adviser today and all is alot clearer now.