Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seduction in the Cold War

OK, bit of an alternative thread this but I spose Mil History is the best place for it.

I recall seeing a programme on telly years ago about spies in the Cold War and there was a balding Russian chap who claimed to be former KGB and got paid to go around the world seducing the wives and girlfriends of prominent Westerners. Once they were under his spell he would presumably rummage through their hubbies' secret papers or somehow find out insider knowledge.

This may appear a bit tinfoil hat and James Bondish but here's a few snippets off the internet to show that it's not all mad:

Chapman, who dressed in designer clothes, drank in swank downtown spots such as the Thompson Hotel, had her hair dyed red every week (she’s a natural brunette) and got frequent mani-pedis, was suspected by acquaintances of working as a hooker to fund her expensive tastes.

Korczak believes that Chapman (real name: Anya Kuschenko) was likely schooled by the SVR — Russia’s post-KGB intelligence agency — in the art of seduction.

During the Cold War, “the Soviet Union had a number of schools that trained beautiful women how to lure and satisfy powerful, rich, American men, sexually and intellectually,” he said.

“They’re called ‘worm-on-a-hook’ agents.”

SOME of these schools are located in small towns in the southern part of the country. None appear on a map. They are exact replicas of American suburbs such as Chevy Chase, Md. — just outside Washington, where the bulk of KGB agents were deployed during World War II.

Russian spies-in-training in these towns, Korczak said, “buy groceries at 7-Elevens, eat hamburgers at McDonald’s, watch American TV and go to American movie theaters, get American newspapers delivered every morning and speak only English.”

Once a spy seems suitably Americanized, they are sent to a way station — usually Finland or the Netherlands — where they attempt to pass as American. If they do, they are sent to the United States, almost always as sleepers.

‘1000s’ of Russian spies in U.S., surpassing Cold War record | New York Post

Linda Pressly

Thursday 18 November 2004 09.59 GMT

Gabriele Kliem was engaged to her 'dream man' for seven years. But all along he was a Stasi agent, whose job it was to seduce women into handing over secret documents. Linda Pressly on the Stasi 'romeos' who haunted West Germany during the cold war

Gabriele Kliem remembers everything about the day Frank Dietzel walked into her life. It was a sweltering summer's evening in Bonn in July 1977. As she sat on the banks of the Rhine waiting for a male friend, a tall, blond, blue-eyed man strolled towards her. "He looked like my dream man," she recalls, "and I thought, if I could ever meet such a man I would be so, so happy. I fell in love with him the minute he came towards me." Dietzel introduced himself and told her he was a friend of the man she was waiting for, who was sick. Would she like to come to dinner with him instead? "My first reaction was that I should get up and walk away as fast as I could, because a relationship with a man that good-looking would be disastrous. But I didn't, I just didn't."

Dietzel was, in fact, a Stasi spy. He had been sent by East Germany across the border to Bonn, on a mission to seduce Kliem, a 32-year-old translator and interpreter at the American embassy.

Feature: The Stasi 'romeos' of West Germany during the cold war

From what I recall from the TV programme the KGB school was run by two women who taught this rotund bald bloke the 'art of seduction' - whatever that is.

It all seemed a bit confusing to me though, can such things be taught? If you're not attracted to someone surely you're just not attracted to them? And if you do fall for someone then it usually takes a lot of time. I don't think it's possible to seduce everyone and I imagine it's a lot more difficult for a man to do it than a woman.

Has anyone else come across this? Standing by for the inevitable NAAFI replies, but I thought it was an interesting and underrepresented part of the Cold War story.

DC

I seem to recall a Soviet agent who was British & may even have been a copper was schooled in the art of seduction to bed wives/girlfriends of people of interest.
The big balls up they made was in tidying up his teeth. They gave him a full set of gold teeth & most women just found him disturbing because of that.

The East German Stasi had a whole team of gigolos, which they let loose on lonely secretaries of the West German government (there was a shortage of men up to the baby boomer generation due to WW2, so quite a few women were forcibly single).
Up to the end some of these women could not realise that they had been duped by professional spies. They really thought that the blokes loved them.

Similarly whenever there was the Leipzig trade fair in the GDR, which also attracted Western businessmen, there were suddenly plenty of pretty young ladies hanging around the hotels, where the westerners were staying, mainly to get blackmail material for later use.

Last edited:
The East German Stasi had a whole tream of gigolos, which hey let loose on lonely secretaries of the West German government (there was a shortage of men up to the baby boomer generation due to WW2, so quite a few women were forcibly single).
Up to the end some of these women could not realise that they had been duped by professional spies. They really thought that the blokes loved them.

Similarly whenever thre was the Leipzig trade in the GDR, which also attractd Western businessmen, there were suddenly plenty of pretty young ladies hanging around the hotels, where the westerners were staying, mainly to get blackmail material for later use.
I can remember this story from the mid '70's.

I could resist anything..........except temptation.
Everyone reckoned barber in Hohne (Herr Cuts,geddit) worked for Russkis at a very low level.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Recently I saw a batch of images issued, showing some rather attractive East German women
it was alluded to in the text that the girls gave these pictures out to attract Members of the Armed forces on our side
and that the girls tried to seduce the servicemen
is their a record of this ever happening , or would it have been hushed up ?

Recently I saw a batch of images issued, showing some rather attractive East German women
it was alluded to in the text that the girls gave these pictures out to attract Members of the Armed forces on our side
and that the girls tried to seduce the servicemen
is their a record of this ever happening , or would it have been hushed up ?
Well, you remember those stories about busloads of nurses...

Latest Threads