Securus?

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Bootifull, Mar 29, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone know anything about Securus?
    I know its the "net-nanny" at my sons school, all good, I like to know they have safe surfing!

He has returned for the Easter hol's and upon trying to connect to our home network it appears that everything is blocked!!...he is none too happy!

I have done the network diagnostics and it tells me that firewall settings are probably causing the problems! cannot connect to internet using HTTP, HTTPS or FTP.

Anyone able to point me in the direction of a solution?
    In normal everyday speak please.

2. msr

msr LE

3. Have I got this right, you are asking about Securus, a Net Nanny and you wish to know about it, well I just Googled it and there are plenty of sites with adequate information, have never used it though :). You then ask about an internet connection, is this his school computer or his own personal computer at home. If you can supply us with some more info maybe we can help :)

Jim

4. Can't uninstall it....I have tried 5 times!!!

Its his own lappy but he has it wireless connected to the boarding house-school network when he is there and our home network when he is here.

It was fine when he was home for exeat 2 weeks ago but this time round its causing problems???

I did do a quick googly thingy...but from experience know that you wonderful ARRSErs have the answers to my questions :D

5. Boot, do me a favour. Right Click "My Computer" and then click "Manage". Expand Users and Groups and click on the "Users" Container.

See if the administrators at your sons school have set up another account that controls the securus software. If your sons were the only account on the laptop, and securus was installed under it, i cant see why your son wouldnt be able to simply switch it off. Its understandable that there is some way of controlling turning off or un-installing the software.

6. Boney M, that my be one answer, but another could be that the school software could be controlling Securus on his son's laptop and the only way to access the internet is through the schools Securus gateway and nowhere else, just a thought. It may not be turned on and off at will except through the main programme at the school, thus making it a proper safeguard.

Jim

7. thanking you all for your wise words....seems to be a problem with the proxy server and to be honest I have neither the inclination nor the patience to sort this out for my brat of a 13yr old!

3 sons free to a bad home.

8. There is an application called an internet proxy switcher used by a school in my area.
    Here is a link to the application.
    You may have to log in as a guest to access but there is no password milarky