• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Security mobs to flood Syria

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Maybe Baron The Lord Sir James Shortt will be applying, quoting his extensive experience in website building.

I don't think Assad is going to be on the 'Losing Team' and no reporting I've seen, including the seizure by rebels of a Helicopter Airfield on Monday, will convince me otherwise. It is also now clear that all operational Rebel Planning is carried out by Al Nusrah which has just kyboshed any hope the rebels may have had of getting weapons from the West. Not even Cameron could spin his way out of Arming Al Qaeda. :frown:

On another note I don't think any contractor with even half a brain would welcome working alongside HezB'Allah and the Mukharabat.

ugly

LE
Perhaps the normal suspects wont be appearing at least not in name but I do suspect that the use of locally recruited agents and managers to soak up all of the guns for hire (to allah or lucre) from neighbouring countries and possibly kill 2 birds with one stone!

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
By "private security firms" does Assad perhaps mean "Russian private security firms?" A cracking way for the Russian military to intervene without officially turning up. I wonder where they'll get their guns, vehicles, logistics and air support from?

By "private security firms" does Assad perhaps mean "Russian private security firms?" A cracking way for the Russian military to intervene without officially turning up. I wonder where they'll get their guns, vehicles, logistics and air support from?
Latvia. All the Russians, read Latvians of Russian descent, ask if I am a spy... and why I am spying on Russia... sorry to derail but it is getting stupid over here...

I really feel that in some cases the EU has under-estimated some of the more recently joined countries and in particular why NATO has not picked up on questions of Allegiance. Germany has been bought by GAZPROM, several other countries are beholden and it seems Syria can only get further into a quagmire before it evens begins to get better. Should that ever happen.

Bit of a shameless plug here, but couldn't resist.

Recently launched a book on kindle that touches on some of points raised in this thread and the article. 'Contract for Liberty' is set in a Islamic country that is in the midst of an armed uprising against a dictator. There are several private military firms that are sniffing around to get involved, both covertly and overtly.

There is plenty of action and 20% of what I make goes to combat stress.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CG54DSM/?tag=armrumser-21

Hope the above link works - posting from my android phone and it dosnt seem to like pasting urls.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

I'm in Iraq at the moment and talking to a lot of the ex Brit mil guys here people are scratching at the walls to get into Syria. If the market opens up guys will flood in.

From what I'm reading on other web sites the Russkis will have this one sown up. If nothing else, it allows Putin to put 'Troops' on the ground under the guise of Contractors.

B

bokkatankie

I'm in Iraq at the moment and talking to a lot of the ex Brit mil guys here people are scratching at the walls to get into Syria. If the market opens up guys will flood in.
To do what for whom and why, other, than of course for the money?

Yes and they'll **** up there as well. Now I don't know how long you've been in Iraq but I was there , on and off, postwar 2003 to 2006. The number of PMCs that sprouted there without any previous security background was incredible. For a good portion of them, a suitable background for new recruits was do you have a passport and when can you start? The fact that private security guys suffered more casualties per head of population than coalition forces doesn't mean that it was any more dangerous for civvy operators. What the figures do mean is that they were ill-equipped, there perceptions of their duties were skewed so much that many civvy operators saw themselves as the 'plain clothes' arm of the Coalition. If you thought the Iraqis and the various AQ-affiliated groups in the country were nasty, they're little lambs compared to the Syrians. If Syria does go tits up, and I fervently hope it doesn't and the security mobs do flock in, make sure that your $100k life insurance policy with your employer of choice will cover your mortgage, kids education etc, etc.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

B

bokkatankie

You say that like it's a bad thing. Why shouldn't people use the skills they have learned (the hard way) for financial advantage?
Because and here is the rub, most of the time those saying they have the skills and have learned them the hard way have not. They are, often, a danger to themsleves and all around!

Still if you believe being a mecenary for a dictator is good, please do not let me stop you!

Because and here is the rub, most of the time those saying they have the skills and have learned them the hard way have not. They are, often, a danger to themsleves and all around!

Still if you believe being a mecenary for a dictator is good, please do not let me stop you!
Do you have any evidence of this? Apart from anecdotal?

Personally, I spent 12 years in the Infantry followed by 18 as a Police Officer. I think that qualifies me to teach coppers in some Middle eastern shit hole. Don't you?

As for Mercenary, that only applies if you are working as a contractor for a Nation other than your own. Christ, even then Geneva Convention recognizes that!

I don't think Assad is going to be on the 'Losing Team' and no reporting I've seen, including the seizure by rebels of a Helicopter Airfield on Monday, will convince me otherwise. It is also now clear that all operational Rebel Planning is carried out by Al Nusrah which has just kyboshed any hope the rebels may have had of getting weapons from the West. Not even Cameron could spin his way out of Arming Al Qaeda. :frown:

On another note I don't think any contractor with even half a brain would welcome working alongside HezB'Allah and the Mukharabat.
Agreed, and personally I hope that Assad and his entourage are the winning team. The last thing the world needs is another emerging radical islamist country among the many that are after the "arab spring".

To do what for whom and why, other, than of course for the money?
Well the biggest gig there was recruited for last year and that was for the UN. It was after nearly 400 personnel. There will be reconstruction projects and other charities that will need protection.

As said before in a strange twist Assad is slowly becoming flavour of the month especially now AQ are deeply involved with the rebels. This on top of the 1700 AQ who were broken from prisons in Libya, Pakistan and Iraq is quite worrying.

The industry is no where near as bad as it used to be where you would find door men from Bradford on the ground. I have been out here a few years and have not met anyone without combat experience from a front line unit in Iraq or Afgan.

Nothing quite like being lectured by a South African on the use of mercenaries.

Latest Threads