Security mobs to flood Syria

Discussion in 'Syria, Mali, Libya, Middle East & North Africa' started by udipur, Aug 6, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. udipur

udipur LE Book Reviewer

2. Olivers Army......once again, when they die does anyone really care?

3. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Maybe Baron The Lord Sir James Shortt will be applying, quoting his extensive experience in website building.

4. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

A-Y you appear to have conflated two of Arrse's bogeymen into one.

5. I don't think Assad is going to be on the 'Losing Team' and no reporting I've seen, including the seizure by rebels of a Helicopter Airfield on Monday, will convince me otherwise. It is also now clear that all operational Rebel Planning is carried out by Al Nusrah which has just kyboshed any hope the rebels may have had of getting weapons from the West. Not even Cameron could spin his way out of Arming Al Qaeda. :frown:

On another note I don't think any contractor with even half a brain would welcome working alongside HezB'Allah and the Mukharabat.

6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Perhaps the normal suspects wont be appearing at least not in name but I do suspect that the use of locally recruited agents and managers to soak up all of the guns for hire (to allah or lucre) from neighbouring countries and possibly kill 2 birds with one stone!

7. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

By "private security firms" does Assad perhaps mean "Russian private security firms?" A cracking way for the Russian military to intervene without officially turning up. I wonder where they'll get their guns, vehicles, logistics and air support from?

• Like Like x 2
  8. Latvia. All the Russians, read Latvians of Russian descent, ask if I am a spy... and why I am spying on Russia... sorry to derail but it is getting stupid over here...

I really feel that in some cases the EU has under-estimated some of the more recently joined countries and in particular why NATO has not picked up on questions of Allegiance. Germany has been bought by GAZPROM, several other countries are beholden and it seems Syria can only get further into a quagmire before it evens begins to get better. Should that ever happen.

9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

All the Kaliningrad mob are here working on the Railway!

10. Bit of a shameless plug here, but couldn't resist.

Recently launched a book on kindle that touches on some of points raised in this thread and the article. 'Contract for Liberty' is set in a Islamic country that is in the midst of an armed uprising against a dictator. There are several private military firms that are sniffing around to get involved, both covertly and overtly.

There is plenty of action and 20% of what I make goes to combat stress.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CG54DSM/?tag=armrumser-21

Hope the above link works - posting from my android phone and it dosnt seem to like pasting urls.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

11. I'm in Iraq at the moment and talking to a lot of the ex Brit mil guys here people are scratching at the walls to get into Syria. If the market opens up guys will flood in.

12. From what I'm reading on other web sites the Russkis will have this one sown up. If nothing else, it allows Putin to put 'Troops' on the ground under the guise of Contractors.

13. To do what for whom and why, other, than of course for the money?

14. You say that like it's a bad thing. Why shouldn't people use the skills they have learned (the hard way) for financial advantage?

15. Yes and they'll **** up there as well. Now I don't know how long you've been in Iraq but I was there , on and off, postwar 2003 to 2006. The number of PMCs that sprouted there without any previous security background was incredible. For a good portion of them, a suitable background for new recruits was do you have a passport and when can you start? The fact that private security guys suffered more casualties per head of population than coalition forces doesn't mean that it was any more dangerous for civvy operators. What the figures do mean is that they were ill-equipped, there perceptions of their duties were skewed so much that many civvy operators saw themselves as the 'plain clothes' arm of the Coalition. If you thought the Iraqis and the various AQ-affiliated groups in the country were nasty, they're little lambs compared to the Syrians. If Syria does go tits up, and I fervently hope it doesn't and the security mobs do flock in, make sure that your $100k life insurance policy with your employer of choice will cover your mortgage, kids education etc, etc.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

• Like Like x 1