Security Management

Discussion in 'Police, PMCs, Security' started by Hollis's way, Feb 27, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,
    i am having a right nightmare , I am due to be medically discharged early next year and i am looking into security management. The drama i have is i have no idea where to start or what quals i need. I am hoping to get a level 5 diploma in management and leadership in the next few months with a company called charted management institute, who will transfer all my military quals into civilian then with a little extra work gain my diploma. i have done 16yrs as a plt sgt in the infantry. i have the following quals, betec level4 PTTLS, A1 Assessor, CLM , level 2 numeracy and literacy. not much else an infanteer can achieve.

is there anyone who knows or is currently in the role of a security manager that could please guide me in the right direction to courses etc.

many thanks.
  2. This kind of thing?

Control Risks Training | Courses Introduction
  3. "you can be sure that the qualification will be positively recognized by employers in the industry, and will give you a real head start in your career in security consultancy."

• Like Like x 1
  4. Where are you looking to work? The UK or in Theatre?
  5. Rather depends on the type of security you intend to get involved in; I'm sure there are many here who could tell you all about the Iraq/Afghanistan flavour. If, on the other hand, you're intent on retail security, banking/finance, contract guarding, industrial, mining, oil/gas etc, there are a variety of routes you could go, but be warned that the competition in most of them is heavy, and there's an increasing demand for serious academic and professional qualifications.

The CR management course referred to by Hobo-Ken is a good one for your CV to start with, although further along the line the ASIS courses and advanced degrees are pretty well mandatory nowadays. They can be costly, mind; if you can get into a job where the company will pay for them, do that, even if it means starting fairly low on the ladder to enable you to put the time in on the coursework.

My experience around the world is that the ASIS CPP is well-fixed in the minds of most large organisational HR departments, and if you can say that you're working towards it, or towards a MSc, you'll better your chances of getting an interview. When you get one or the other, of course, you're on the way to grown-up work.

...should have added: two areas which are vital in addition to most of the content of many 'security' courses nowadays are Safety (particularly in oil/gas and mining) and of course basic finance; if you have a line on your CV for courses and/or experience in them as well, you'll be well on your way
    • Like Like x 1
  6. ill work home or abroad.
  7. I'll fire you a pm in the morning.
  8. cheers whiskey,b . I appreciate it. many thanks
  9. Don't waste your time on "manned guarding" in the UK.
  10. You are aiming too high with your given background and I suggest looking at advisor level or consultant but dont expect to walk into a job as a 'Security Manager'. Go for an overseas contract and get some time in doing the general security stuff or manned guarding for a while may improve your skill set in some areas.
    I see hundreds of applications and CVs like yours whenever we post a job as a security advisor and they generally fail the paper sift.
    You need something that sets you above the others. Look at Root cause analysis (RCA) courses dealing with incident investigation etc. Personally, I wouldn't advise you to spend any money on the ASIS courses. Get a job and see if the company will sponsor you. Doing any of those courses, including the CR courses, will mean nothing without the requisite experience to back them up. Another language is also a massive bonus these days.
    You're in for a rough ride as the competition is stiff but dont give up....the security industry isn't going anywhere!
  11. And forget about working in Theatre. Nowadays what got you medically discharged from the mob will prevent you working for the MOD or FCO
  12. Manned guarding in the UK is mostly not actually about "security". It's just companies paying due diligence to their insurance requirements - and guarding companies gambling on their annual profits exceeding any liabilities they gather in the financial year due to failure to keep to the contracts. It's just "bums on seats".

The workforce will mainly comprise of two distinct types of people:

the first one, and main one are the people who cannot reasonably gain employment in any other sector except maybe cleaning etc. Many of them will have gained an SIA license buckshee from the job centre and will be well versed in the benefits system. The threat of disciplinary action for whatever reason bothers them not. They will let you down at the drop of a hat and their grandma / cat / father will be rushed to hospital / die on any occasion they need a day off or can't be arsed to work.

The second group are the people who are just topping up their pensions. Often they have held responsible jobs in their past and are inteligent and reliable but not very flexible.

To gain any contracts over than guarding / patrolling portacabins nowadays you really need all the accreditations, especially for keyholding. You will not gain any national contracts or 3rd party contracts off a national provider unless you have the gold & silver stars etc and "Approved contractor status" (Think Investors in People for the security industry). All are costly, a pain in the arse and severely restrict you flexibility if you comply with their requirements to the letter.

Big companies like Securitas operate a "Branch system" where a manager will be allocated a certain area. Like I said - it's not about actual security - its just contract juggling and ensuring the "in" money exceeds the "out" money. It's just sales under a different name.

Due to the competetiveness in the industry, under-cutting and loss-leading, the margins for profit are so tight that if you put an extra bod on a site to learn the ropes for a couple of days - you will have lost a week's profit on that site. Most contracts now are mainly to simply deprive other providers of that contract and the real money is made in other areas. it's like a game of risk.

Edit: I forgot to add the third group of people - The Poles, who are reliable, flexible and largely intelligent and put many of their English counterparts to shame.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. PM Sinner.
  14. Supermatelots post has pretty much covered how the industry works.
    Re: The poles , if they have security experience in Poland their way of dealing with shoplifters is to kick seven shades of shit out of them.
    While I myself have no problem with this, obvious it can cause issues here.
    Some good advice on here.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)