Security Consultancy.........Worth doing??

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by roninxix, Mar 5, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bit of advice needed here. Am just starting my resettlement (thank fnuck) and the old CTP advisor mentioned that due to my background that I should do a Security Consultancy Course and give that a go in Civvie Strasse.

Now the company that the course is run by is a good firm. Have looked on their website and doesn't sound waltish at all.

Before I blow a substantial wad of my resettlement money and leave on this course, does anybody know if there are oppertunities out there for this line of work.

Any sensible (remember this isn't the NAAFI) comments would be welcome.
  2. It can be very rewarding, both professionally and financially. Try to go PAYE and not just remain 'on the books'.

You can do no better than give SCS Ltd a call, if only for a chat. Good people there from all 3 services.
  3. Yes there are opportunities out there - but getting into them is to a certain extent a matter of being in the right place at the right time.

As for a 'Security Consultancy Course', there is no such accredited course available - yes I know of a respected company that does one - they told all their consultants that unless they coughed up x thousand pounds and took it they might not have been considered for future work. I still no of no exisrting consultant who took the course or has any desire to do so. Ask the company that is running it what international security institutions, educational or vocational establishments, or governments have accredited their course.

My advice would be the following courses:

ASIS CPP (Internationally accredited. Well known in the industry. Won't break the bank.)

ISPS: SSS, CSO, PFSO: (as obove, but for maritime security)

PGd or MSc: More of an academic route, but increasingly in demand for the better jobs. Check out distance learning from Universities of Leicester, Portsmouth, and Loughborough. Loughborough curriculum seems best suited to security consultancy.

SIA Licenses - These are pretty job specific for certain types of work. They may on the odd occassion be 'nice to haves' for security consultants, but unless you are looking at a BG or PSD job they are probably of limited value.
  4. The company that runs the course (and this was on the preffered providers list from CTP) is Anubis Limited. It states on their website that the course is accredited by the following facalties:

Buckinghamshire New University (BNU), Skills for Security (SfS) and the Institute of Risk Management (IRM).

The course runs in 3 Modules.

Module 1:
    Security Threat & Risk Management
    Security Survey & Audit
    Security Awareness
    Law & Legislation
    Communication Methods
    Information Gathering & Analysis

Module 2 is distance learning projects

Module 3
    Roles & Responsibilities
    Organising the Security Function
    Corporate Governance
    Criminology & Crime Prevention
    Physical Security
    Emergency Planning
    Business Continuity Management
    Project Management
    Emergency Evacuation Planning
    Emergency Response Procedures
    Journey Management
    Continuing Professional Development

Just want to make sure that all me admin is squared away before taking the leap.
  5. RiflemanTom

RiflemanTom Old-Salt Book Reviewer

I'd say that most of these courses are purely there to milk your resettlement cash. So be very careful when choosing a course. Also, is it really beneficial for you to do the course, or would it make more sense in the long run to use the money to pay for courses in a relevent trade for instance, or for further education to make you more employable? For instance, there are a thousand swinging dicks out there with level 3 SIA licences.

I've spent a few years (since 2002) doing Security in Iraq etc and it's honestly not the sort of job that suits everyone. That is of course as long as you can get a job in the first place. There are less jobs out there for "new" blokes so to speak, and the wages are a little different to what they were back in the boom. Not trying to put a downer on this for you, but just saying that you need to make sure you're spending your money wisely. Jobs in civvi street are thin on the ground in the UK, and employers are being very choosy, if you don't have qualifications then you're buggered. The Army won't give you the money again if you spunk it on the "wrong" course., so just be carefull.
  6. I Agree with RMT. I specifically told the CTP that I wasn't interested in security at SIAesq level. I have no intention of going back to anywhere hot and sandy again have done that enough now to suit me now it's someone elses turn.

Have just started this resettlement malarkey and am just trying to weigh up me options. The advisor also mention doing adult learning courses along side to maybe give me an edge to Assess/instruct people getting involved in the lower levels of the Sec world. As RMT said so eloquently I don't want to spunk it all away on a white elephant of a course.
  7. Rononxix,

Course content seems right, but I would agree with rifleman Tom - they are after your money. Like RT, I have been a security consultant since 2002 but in Africa, and these courses come and go on an almost yearly basis.

You will be in a bit of a catch 22 when you leave the forces - it's difficult to get a job without having had experience, so qualifications do help. I have heard of Anubis, but don't know anyone who has done that course. I suspect that it might help you in the first few weeks, but decreasingly so after that.

I would try to hone down what exactly you are after. As has been said before, there is a vast variety of jobs out there and I would very broadly say you should be looking at the following:

1. Residential or Rotation?
    2. Continent or region?
    3. Military emphasis on job or civilian:
    a. Military: BG, PSD, Military Advisor, (ahem) Merc (not the car);
    b. BG or similar outside a war zone;
    c. Security advisor or consultant to a company either in or out of a war zone (huge variation in these jobs, but generally best paid and most challenging).
    4. Manager, advisor, or doer?
    5. Industry sector - Oil & Gas, Government, Mining, Other?

Obviously you may not have a choice in what job you take first, but a thorough thinking session about the pros and cons of each will give you focus and possibly help you avoid being dissapointed.

Feel free to PM if you want to know more about the 3.c. side. (I know virtually naff all about the PMC side).
  8. RiflemanTom

RiflemanTom Old-Salt Book Reviewer

What do you do now? Would it be better to take further education based on your current role to get a better job in civvi street?

Or on the other hand,what would you realy like to do for a living? if you have a bit of vision the world can be your oyster. Don't limit yourself to the security industry just because you've been wearing green for a few years.
  9. Thanks for the advice fellas. Not to risk a breach in PERSEC I may fire some PMs tomorrow to your good selves tomorrow. It's after 6 on a Friday and it's time to put a few ales down the range.
  10. I am looking at the same course for the same reasons. It may help to attend the Security Industry Awareness day at Tidworth, bookable via CTP
  11. Have you thought about Health and Safety, you will be suprised, how much you know already regarding this topic, for instance if you are Range Qualified, NBC Instructor, Provost Sgt's Course etc etc, you already have safety drilled into you.

The NEBOSH Certificate is in my humble opinion not as difficult as it was 7 - 10 years ago and is the Firsrt Step on the Safety Run.

12. Steer clear. When a company tells you to cough up a large chunk of money for their own course, be very careful.
    The IOSH course offered internally is not definitive.

I know at least 2 people who have been informed that for them to continue delivering the same security consultancy services they have done for the previous 3 years, they will have to do this course. "Ram it" was a common response.
    Funnily enough, since they've developed a good relationship with the client, the client would prefer to take them on direct than them quit.

You would be better served to spend £2k on a 2 week NEBOSH NGC with someone like NURS/Aviva. The NGC is entry level to most HSE departments and is then backed up with your experience, e.g. if you have logistics or vehicle managment skills from the military.

Your ability to speak another language is important. My first break came from being able to just about speak french (its improved since), all other skills were then bonuses.

Anyway Dayrate for HSE is often 2 x better than security

Edit to add:
    Oyibo's points are all very valid. As opposed to being functionally oriented (its your army institutionalisation(sic)), look at where you want to live, how much you need to earn (try and find out your full capitation rate as a guide), how you would like to live and then see what work fits. Defence contracting (ala SCS ltd) is better earning stop gap until you find a job that fits, plus it is the best time to use your job/skill currency and contacts - bit like ex coppers - good for 5 years until people move on
  14. Not sure on your first point, as one of the individuals is an Oxbridge graduate and had written a precursor to the Anubis course.

On your second point, when a company that relies on contracted consultants to do its jobs then starts cutting their daily rates as opposed to the company profit margins or its rather large employee payroll overhead, what do you expect?

End of the day, security is just revenue protection, not revenue generation.
    Only in hostile environments does it become a business enabler, but the moment roles can be nationalised, standby.