Security Clearance in Civvy Street

Discussion in 'Int Corps' started by wellyhead, Nov 21, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

Quick one, does anyone here know how to initialise getting someone SC ? I am (possibly, explain later) but I have been asked how my company can get others cleared, why ? To snag some poss government work.

My story is that for most of my service I was PV(S) but have recently gone through it all again to get my SC sponsored by, of all things, The Met Office. As my sponsor they sorted that all out but I can't speak to the security bods there to find out.

I also have another couple of questions

1. How exactly do i know when I have been cleared ? I was working on site and one day they gave me a yellow pass instead of a blue, they took it that that meant I was successfull but that isn't a guarentee, is there somewhere else I can check ? Whilst a reg the only indication I had was when I had to sign my Crypto Custdodian thing every year that .

2. Am I right in thinking its valid for 5 years ?

Cheers for any help
  2. Oh by the way I did find this site

Anyone argue or give anyother advice would help

3. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

I seem to recall that the only reason why an individual would be vetted, would be because their post required it. It follows that a company won't be able to get their staff vetted on the speculation that they might get some contracts from the government

The vetting agency does have a website though, so you might be able to get some help there (
  4. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

Mr Fingerz is correct.

Vetting is done at the request of a contract holding company, so, if your business holds a contract that requires vetting of staff then you will be sponsored to vet the staff. If the contract does not then you will not.

Not having pre-vetted staff will not stop you getting on the bid list or influence the result of bids.

In short, you cannot get vetted on the off chance of work because there is no need.
  5. Cheers guys, kind of had that feeling, it just seemed a little confusing

PS found the DVA site
  6. You should have been given a vetting reference number, length of validation depends on level of clearance and who the clearing agency are!
  7. Yep, I can back this one up from personal experience of tendering for MOD work. Attempting to get vetted in order to sweeten your chances won't work, it will be down to the principal contractor to arrange vetting once the contract is awarded.