• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

security check at AFCO

i have a criminal record based on one offence commited 5 years ago, sentenced to 2 years YOI
*i have no other convictions

a security check has been completed by the AFCO, and i have passed that.

i was just wondering if anyone is aware of any further security checks, that need to be completed?

Or does this depend on the job applied for e.g. sigs or infantry.

I appreciate any help or information that can be provided, Many Thanks

Again it depends on your job choice, most are done after Phase One, it worries me slightly that you seemed concerned about a Full security check
What have you got to hide????

not what i have to hide, more what i have to lose.

i have a full time job that i will not be able to return to should i leave, so whilst i have a strong desire to join the army i cannot start phase 1, and then fail the security check.

i have a criminal conviction. i am naturally concerned about gambling my job and my livelihood.

how comprehensive is the AFCO based security check, compared to a security check completed during phase 1

Have a chat with your AFCO, no doubt they have clocked you on this site as you have used your real name so maybe they will be wanting chat when you call in. :)

Further checks depend on what badge and trade you go for and these checks dont usually start until phase 2. If you fail those checks then its back to career choices and seeing whats available.

Out of interest what job in the Sigs were you after?

communications systems engineer.

i did well on the BARB - 69 (+ strong a-levels). so i had most job choices available to me

so if i failed a SC typre job, could i re-apply in a CTC level job

BTW not winding anyone up, its obviously very serious for me.

G

Goku

I’ve got a friend with SC clearance who in his youth was a drug dealer.
He was only ever cautioned but none the less his police records have him down as a drug dealer.

So long as you’re completely honest during your security checks/interview then you’ll be fine… IF you’re past digressions are spent and you didn’t do anything too serious.

If you should fail further security checks then all that means is that you won’t be able to do certain trades/appointments that require clearance.
If that’s the case then there are plenty of other jobs open to you that don’t need anything more than your current BC.

Don’t stress :)

i have been honest from the start. my first question to the AFCO was if i could join with a criminal record.

many thanks for all your comments i appreciate it!

Security checks really are not that bad, they are just making sure you won't load the armoury into a transit. I had to fill out the paperwork for mine when everybody realised I never had clearance to be in the armourers workshop around 4 months into my posting. I was denied access to the shop for around 20 minutes until they realised nobody else was there to fix weapons. :)

Edit: I flew through my clearance despite a caution back when I was a teenager for "supplying" ammunition. You probably have nothing to worry about. :wink:

Providing you have been 100% honest in disclosing what you have to under the Rehab Act you have nothing to worry about. If you have in anyway misled anyone you will be found out at some stage.

I hear what you are saying mate, However, a full DV check will throw up a lot of stuff you may have forgotten about yourself!!!
I am getting the feeling you have done something criminal that you havent been caught for????
You have mentioned three times now you have told them you have a criminal record????
So what ever it is you may as well declare it at the ACIO/AFCO, at least then when/if it comes to light at least you can say you have already declared it!!!

Dont try and beat the system already, Honesty and Integrity are big things in the Forces.

2 years in a young offenders institute for one offence? that sounds pretty serious to me, we get guys in our office that get a couple of months for a few offences, what did you do rob a bank??? :D

Also the AFCO/ACIO doesnt conduct a security check as such, we can vet or screen applications (for want of a better term) to minimise the risk at each level of nutcases getting in, but all that will have happened at the office where you are concerned is a quick check of the guidelines on offences and very likely a 203 sent off to allow the office to proceed.

A security check consists of completing form 1109 which isnt normally completed now until phase 1 training for all but one or two jobs.

If i was your recruiter the first thing i would have asked for is your criminal record disclosure, from there a 203 if i felt you were worthy of a chance to apply, and if that was successful you would be on the way through the system.

As long as you satisfy the rehab act 1974, havent re-offended and most importantly of all, have been honest with the office you should be fine :)

Latest Threads