Security Cameras

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by Taffd, Jun 16, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. I have reason to want evidence of my entering and leaving a building. The building has security cameras.

    Does anyone know if there's a way of obtaining footage of my doing so; an officially recognised way of going about things?
  2. I think you're going to fall foul of the Data Protection act if they have a digital security system, or if it's a tape system you'll going to have to make a damn good case to get them to trawl through hours and hours of footage - assuming you get there before the tape gets deleted and re-used.
  3. If the footage in any way compromises the owner of the security camera it will be erased shortly before the request for access is made.

    1.Friendly request to the head of security
    2.Bribe to the relevant security shift
    3.Court order.
    4. Start distraction fire, enter building dressed as a fireman. Make your way to the security office, steal drives. Start localized fire to conceal evidence.
  4. Sorry folks, didn't think to google it. Have done so now and have the answer.
  5. Media is time-coded.
    If he knows when he entered the building this will help.
  6. You've been watching telly again haven't you?
  7. Didn't realise there'd been replies; thanks.

    I'd previously spoken to a relative, a building manager, who'd mentioned data protection and stated that he'd refuse access.

    However, a quick google brings up a gov website that says -

    You have the right to see CCTV footage of yourself and get a copy within 40 days of asking for it.

    You need to make a request in writing to the owner of the closed circuit television (CCTV) system. The owner’s details are usually written on a sign attached to the camera, unless the owner is obvious (like a shop).

    You need to provide enough information so that you can be identified in the footage, like:
    a specific date and time
    proof of your identity
    a description of yourself

    The CCTV owner decides how they provide the footage. You can be charged a fee of up to £10 (the current maximum set by law).

    The footage may be edited to protect the identities of other people.'

  8. Not at all. This is the SOP for retrieving Data/missing files when the air-conditioning vents are too small to crawl through.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Bog standard DPA request.

    Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  10. You're really going the long to prove to your mates you shagged some totty.

    Couldn't you have just let them sniff your fingers post event instead?
  11. You have the right to view the tape but must make an application and give an appropriate reason. The CCTC controller should have an SOP and there will probably be a charge £10.00. The CCTV is not held forever so if you apply in 2 months expect it to have been erraised. You can be refused but would be able to appeal to the Info Comm.
  12. The information commissioners office only applies to public/government/agency organisations or their contractors. A private firm are not bound by or regulated by the ICO although still subject to the DAP

    For instance. Halfords/tesco are bound by the Data protection act in the way they use their recorded information but should they refuse to release that data to you, there is not much you can do about it. They can, however, be prosecuted for misusing such data. A town watch CCTV system, even operated by a civvy security firm DOES have to respond to such requests as they are acting on behalf of a public authority. They could always claim an exemption under 'prevention and/or detection of crime' though so no luck there.

    The Data Protection Act is quite a complex piece of legislation and only certain parts of it are applicable to certain peoples and only enforceable in specific circumstances with quite broad stroking exemptions.

    PM me with your specific problem and I see if I can be of help.