Securing your Facebook : Privacy Tutorial

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Dontdreamit, Feb 21, 2009.

?
  1. Yes

61.4%
  2. No

12.3%
  3. I didn't know how until now

26.3%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Most of the tips below can be applied to other social networks but I was asked by my employer to make a presentation showing how to secure your facebook against unwanted attention. I figured some of the users on here might appreciate it.

There are several layers to securing a facebook profile.

Layer 1 - Preventing unauthorised users from viewing your data
    Layer 2 - Preventing corporations from exploiting your data
    Layer 3 - Preventing data aggregation

Layer 1

A user can view your data on facebook via three means.
    # You give them permission
    # You appear in some form of 'shared' media
    # You are a member of their network

So the steps you must take are as follows...

1. Remove yourself from any networks you belong to. In reality networks serve no real purpose and removing yourself will not detract from your user experience.

2. Adjust the settings regarding who can and cannot view your profile via the steps below:

a. Click on Settings
    b. Click on Account Settings
    c. This is the 'My Account' Page allowing you to make changes
    d. Click on Privacy
    e. Click on Profile
    f. From here you can use the drop down menus to make only authorised users can see your data
    g. Save your settings
    h. Click on Search discovery
    i. From here you can decide what (if any) information about you appears in the search listings
    j. Save your settings
    k. Do the same for the News Feed tab
    l. Save your settings
    m. Return to the My Account page
    n. Click on notifications
    o. Select which notifications you would like your friends/family to see

Your data is now secured against any unauthorised users. If someone tags you in a photo and a user who is not on your friends list tries to view it then they will recieve an error message.

Furthermore if you untag yourself from a photo twice then you cannot be retagged.

It should also be noted that if you have enabled the majority of these security measures then if you post on groups, fan pages, friends walls etc - you will only appear as a name. No photos or other details will appear and members cannot try to contact you for more information.

Layer 2

A corporation can view your data via one major means
    # You give them permission by agreeing to an application

NOTE: A facebook developer requires no special agreement with facebook to use your data ethically. Anyone can become a developer and when you add an application you give them the right to use your data and the data of your friends as they see fit.

1. Adjust the settings regarding your applications via the steps below:

a. Click on Settings
    b. Click on Account Settings
    c. This is the 'My Account' Page allowing you to make changes
    d. Click on Privacy
    e. Click on Applications
    f. Read the overview presented
    g. Click on settings above the overview
    h. Check the boxes that your consider acceptable for third parties to know about you
    i. Review your applications and make sure that previously deleted applications are not still viewing your data
    j. Save your settings

Layer 3

Data aggregation occurs when one website does not hold enough information about you to be exploited but it holds enough information to find OTHER websites. Those additional online profiles help to build a picture of yoursefl that can be exploited.

Steps 1 and 2 help to prevent data aggregation.

For a quick shocking look at it - type into Google :

a. A common username that you use for multiple sites
    b. Your regular email address
    c. The first portion of your email address before the @ symbol

If several posts/profiles of yours appear in the rankings then data aggregation should be a concern. Yahoo are particularly adept at locating email addresses attached to profiles.

I hope some of this helps, any questions/ suggestions please drop me a line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMWz3G_gPhU

2. msr

msr LE

3. I think I'd already got most of that but thanks for the summary. Good stuff.

4. msr

msr LE

You should have asked :)

msr

5. Or simply bin the Facebook account. Would that help? I don't really understand why anyone would wish to plaster their personal details all over the web?

6. msr

msr LE

Either you do not want to be in touch with anyone, or the reverse is true...

msr

7. Useful post. Thanks.

8. There are a multitude of websites out there but I thought this was particularly pertinent given the recent defence memo regarding soldiers and online presence.

9. Its somewhat better than regt associations, Keep in touch with plenty of mates that I'd thought lost forever.

10. Quality post Thanks for all the tips

11. Okay .... where do I start?

Yep! I do say stuff about myself on Arrse, because I've got a bit of anonymity. Just now, I was avoiding doing the stuff I should be doing (and still am) and decided to type "bovington" (home) into Facebook search. I found a few groups. I was thinking that, because I value my anonymity, I wouldn't want any local group membership to be visible on Facebook. I don't like anything personal about me visible on Facebook. I'm not easily shocked, but I found this group:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=55914054211

"charlotte bovington had it *********** and shat herself"

I don't know what to say!!! (It isn't me). That is horrible!!! I'm shocked!! I wonder if it's somone's real name?

I didn't want to start a new thread and, anyway, there is some valuable advice on this thread, so I reckoned it could do with a bump .......

12. This is going around at the moment:

13. CountryGal

CountryGal LE Book Reviewer

Thanks for that ;o)

14. What's Facebook?