Securing a netbook

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Captain_Crusty, Jan 11, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Captain_Crusty

Captain_Crusty War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

A friend has bought a netbook.

Given that he intends to use outlook on it, he wants a simple way of securing the netbook to avoid problems if he loses it / it is stolen.

Any ideas?

Would PGP slow it up too much as I know you can encrypt the disk with that?

Many thanks.

C_C

2. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Don't use it for confidential data.

All encryption solutions will either be a manual embuggeration, or will stress the little CPU.

I implementated a Disaster Standby solution recently on Netbooks - but using Citrix to avoid local data storage, some will go awol for sure.

One alternative may be to use an encrypted USB stick - thats what I use - you have to remove it before putting the netbook back into its neoprene sleeve.

3. msr

msr LE

All of this is a balance, personally I would recommend that he encrypt the hard disk with truecrypt: www.truecrypt.org

Most importantly he needs to have a decent antivirus and ensure that both it and his operating system and applications are updated.

Is it just outlook / email he is looking to protect, or other documents as well?

msr
    P.S. Ignore unhelpful suggestions about Citrix, this is an enterprise solution, not one for home use.

4. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I was not suggesting he use Citrix.
    Citrix was the solution arrived at in a major project as all encryption options were proven unworkable in performance terms. It is not an option for a private user.

I can use my dongle for all sensitive docs and email storage without having to further restrict the netbooks performance.

But the main point is don't put anything highly sensitive on a device that has a high likelyhood of theft or loss.....

5. Captain_Crusty

Captain_Crusty War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

Yes - just outlook/email.

6. msr

msr LE

7. I use " truecrypt " . I store nearly all my files in the encrypted area . The same software can be used to create encrypted areas on Memory Sticks . I have found it easy to use and the additional requirement of having to type in a password to open an encrypted area causes minimum delay when you balance that your files are safe .