Section in Attack Assessment

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by bren_gunner, Mar 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, have my section in attack assessment week on next week, just looking for any advice that people here might have so that i can lead the best sia, im new to sia and now have to complete the assessment so any advice people who have vast experience here could give me would be greatly appreciated for the ic and 2ic role.

Regards

Bren_Gunner

2. Ostentatious use of Binos followed by a good Fire Control Order, avoid bunching on the objective, bags of smoke and reorg. at the bushy-topped tree for tea and wads :thumright:

PS. Don't forget to stick some foliage under your trouser-bottoms, back in the Eighties it was all there was between us and 3 Shock Army!

3. Give good fire control orders and make sure they are understood.

Remember its fire AND movement - everybody down and no fire is not a crisis. Somebody moving and no fire will be.

Don't rush it. When you say 'prepare to move' give the poor sods time to sort themselves out before you say 'move'.

Get the reorg right. Your bods won't achieve a position of all round defence by themselves - they will lie down at random and start talking.

It's all about control - you do the thinking, the blokes do the shooting.

4. Can you explain to an old dog what this is (my bold) ..Course/Bn Trg/Cadets ???

The best thing you can do is rehearsals again and again work with the basics ..dont worry about being the "best led section attack" i would worry about getting it right and understanding the mechs of it ...

5. No problem old dog its for an ncos course here in Ireland. I find the fire control orders difficult with no features to give for my indication. If you know what i mean, when im saying bottom of bushy top tree, or tall tree or whatever, nobody seems to have a clue where im on about. Should i crawl to the whole section and tell them where the enemy are? Also with the re-org do you go for past the enemy position or near it and how spaced out should the troops be? I know each sia is different but im just trying to get a good grasp on it. With the smoke is it best to smoke the flank you are going up or the one your not, again i realise that it can be different on the day etc.

Regards,

Bren_Gunner

6. whats wrong with saying watch for fall of shot, and indicating with a round?

7. 'Watch my tracer' is a good way to indicate, but a bit limited when it's a blank-firing test. Can be good for a laugh, though.

One way round it is to get your reference points organised before you begin an advance to contact, so you can take a bit of time before you set off to establish exactly which bushy-topped tree/cut in the turf you mean. then it's a bit easier when you actually begin the contact.

I wouldn't get too excited about deceptive smoke at section level, and if it's going to cause confusion, only use it to mask your movement or there's no cover near the objective.

Re-org wise, we always went past the en. position (you don't know if they have depth positions you're not aware of). Also, they probably have arty zeroed in on the position ready for WAEF (when all else fails), and their position won't have enough trenches for all your blokes. This should also influence our spacings.

Vasco's got it right, though. You need to demonstrate that you're in control. Don't worry if you don't shoot a round for the whole attack.

8. Presumably the DS will give you a bit of an advance to contact before the shooting starts. Before you move off there will be a handover as the individual slots are changed. Often what you do in this preparation phase will determine how well the attack goes.

a) Stop and first re-number everybody/rejig the fireteams and ensure everyone has a battle pair and everybody now knows what fire team they are in. This will be necessary as you have taken the sec cmdrs slot and someone else has moved into your old slot. Expect this shuffle around to take a minute or two.

b) Before moving off, stop again and take a good look at the ground in front of you. Ask the DS what are your left and right boundaries. Make sure you use the space available to the very full and pick a route using the best available cover. Choose a route that gives your section some cover - avoid steaming across the middle of an open field in arrowhead - unless you really have no other choice. Also avoid walking down a track in file when you could walk down the back of the tall hedge alongside the road. Before you move off, tell your section, the route you intend to take and point out reference points to the next bound.

c) Advance to the next tactical bound and stop for a minute or two. View the ground ahead and pick the next covered route in the direction indicated by the DS.

c) Keep the F&M v. simple - your section has not exercised together before in this configuration and this sounds like your first attempt. So go easy on yourself and them ie. move a fireteam as a complete fireteam rather than trying to move battle pairs - have the other fireteam provide fire to cover the move.

d) As someone else said, what the DS want to see is that you understand the need for fire in order to maneouvre. GRIT and CLAP.

Good luck.

9. Ah good for you first step .etc etc again dont get tied up with Fire control orders or flap about it and def dont go into a highly descriptive FCO because you'll make a c*nt of yourself KISS ..

What did your DS teach you if all the DS are singing of the same sheet just back from the farm etc they will be wanting you to conduct it their way .... Oh and dont gob off at the end how you never got "best led Sect Attack" sit back pin lugs back take it in remember learning curve etc

10. 307

307 War Hero

Blank ex. no tracers.....if you've got miniflares or paralumes use them, I've seen it done and to be fair I thought it was a good example of adapt and overcome.

11. Charlie - 100 - Half right (of Axis) - Enemy in hedge line - rapid.....

If you axis is well defined - perhaps towards an object that will be clearly visible throughout your approach, you can always use it as a reference. Of course church steeples and chimneys are never there when you want them!

Don't forget: "Can anybody see the enemy?"

From personal experience shouting "watch my tracer!" will have an effect somewhere between total confusion and hysterical laughter. (Unless it's a live firing exercise of course)

12. The DS have been hammering on about agression and basically letting us make a balls then pointing out faults then getting us to fix it. Some of the lads have done really good sias one fellow in my section in particular. My own, would i say be regarded as a cluster, its probably the only free exposure im gonna get before i do it for assessment. Thats why i posted up on the forum. The advice given here is great, it really is.

My sia had me fidgeting around looking for my bloody chino pencils after my recce, the enemy was crawling around and popping up all over the place like a jack in the box, my fco had lads firing to the left when the enemy was straight in front somewhere and my 2ic moved the fsg group under his own steam, with a big sgt of a ds beside me shouting "why are your fsg coming up here?" To make matters worse when we went into the assault the scout got lost after he popped smoke and i had to go into the assault with one of the girls who didnt have a bloody clue what the hell was going on!

Anyway as you say learning curve and i thought id post that up to give you a laugh, learned a lot now the last week and i doubt itll be that bad again!

Oh, and for another question, does anyone here know where on the internet you can get a sample section battle order and patrol order, i have one done out but it would be great to have a look at a different one, say a british army one so as i could pick up something different from it. Type section battle order into google and all you get is stuff for computer games!

13. 1 (First bold) What force are you with? Jedi/Cadets/Home Sevice/IDF/ ?
    2 (Second bold) QBO's ?

14. Have we re-invented the wheel again? Did we not occupy the trenches of the enemy dead for the whole reason of enemy 'DF'ing i.e. safer in a trench than out in the open, mainly due to the footprint of an Arty Bty inpact area - 250 x 250m plus the applied lethal and danger areas. Even with 81mm anything under 250-300m (dependant on the range of the Mortars) you are going to possibly occur casualties, which is the reason we have safety limits for Last Safe Moment so we don't injure our own.

Also don't forget the position you have just attacked is more than likely to be covered by others or could be a break in point for a trench system

So if you are going to move off the enemy position - make it a long way,

15. Roger out.

Editied to add: I still don't think that you can fit a section's worth of guys in the position that a section would take on, e.g. a MG position. BUT, I do take the point of the arty lethal areas.

Maybe at section level the 'best practice' will be dependent on the mission; are you point section of a trench system break-in, or are you part of a pln/coy advance to contact?