Section 7.3 Firearms

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by steven04, Jan 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Following on from the other thread about the 1911 pistol, does anyone here have experience of applying for and then purchasing a Section 7.3 pistol ?

    There's a club here in the Midlands that's not too far away from me with Section 7.3 status, so that's one problem out of the way in as far as storage and range facilities go.

    Is it as simple of finding the pistol via a dealer and then applying for the variation in the normal way, or is it more complicated than that ?

    Who decides whether a pistol is suitable and qualifies for 7.3 status ?

    What are the ins and outs of Section 7.3 ownership ?

    Thanks !
  2. ugly

    ugly LE Moderator

    FCC allegedly decides although if you come under Staffs then a .455 is 7.1 and in West Mids its a 7.3. Wednesbury is a good club but you need to establich cause for a collection, Learned society is enough so Join the HBSA! PM me for details!
  3. Nowah!

    would an old pistol, such as a wartime heirloom .45 as in your example not be valid as a S58 antique?

    I'm aware that the "guidelines" point towards obsolete calibres only, but the law itself seems to be written in such a way that the actual history of the weapon would have to be taken into account on a case by case basis - for example if it was your Grandads Luger, pried from the hands of a German general?
  4. ugly

    ugly LE Moderator

    S58 is calibre based only, its quite clear on that, if the pistol is of sufficient rarity such as a plain 1911 with provenance and unaltered (I played with one) then it would qualify as section 7 but not obsolete calibre, in fact you may have difficulty persuading plod its ok to keep at home. If it was .455 Eley Auto then its an unobtainable calibre and can be section 7 at home!
  5. I love the way that each Firearms Licensing Dept 'interpret' the rules to suit themselves... :roll:

    I'll send you a PM...Thanks :D
  6. Alsacien

    Alsacien LE Moderator

    I have done this in 3 countries, it is always the same, very complicated for the end user and the person trying to administer the regulations.
    Everyone misses the point, complexity does not make for better public safety - it probably even impacts it negatively. What is needed is more focus on the individual.
    My solution for non-hunting FAC holders:
    1. Sponsorship from a club or association renewed annually. (Also covers place to shoot).
    2.Medical certificate from an independant medical referee (who also consults your GP).
    3. Police inspection of your storage facilities for weapons and ammo (appropriate to amount of stuff owned).
    4. Sensible and simple guidelines on how much of what you can own (am I more dangerous to the public with 5 rifles or 7 rifles......of course not, unless they get into the wrong hands (see previous 3).

    For hunters: the landowners written annual consent for hunting rights/or proof you travel to other sites to hunt - and some annual check you can still shoot straight and safely, shoot regularly and know the difference between a buffalo and a labrador....
  7. A .455 can be 7.1 or 7.3. No ifs buts or maybes. Mine have been 7(1) and are now 7(3), because after ten years in the safe, I wanted to shoot them.

    If you mean the Home Office Firearms Consultative Committee, it is now defunct.

    To answer the OP's question. The only season that we are permitted Section 7(3)s if for historical research. So if you do not have history e.g. been published or are not a member of the learned Society , such as HBSA then in theory you can forget it.

    However to get a Section 7 of either sort you need to agree in principle with your local Constabulary that you meet the criteria and then you can look for something to buy. Custom and practice (is isn't the law) is that you apply for a variation in the normal way but you have to include the serial number of the firearm.

    If you are at Bisley at any of the meetings or Arms Fairs I suggest that you drop by the HBSA stand. (Or the Army Rifle Club house if there is an HBSA exhibition on. Once or twice a year.)
  8. No it isn't. read the act:


    Calibre is a red herring with no basis in law whatever the HO might like to think. That's why they came unstuck in the Mick Shepherd case.
  9. ugly

    ugly LE Moderator

    Courts are the final decider but who really has the time unless like Mr Shepherd they are forced to?
    As for the FCC it is defunct under the current regime but is still extant due to the fact that ther4e is no suitable replacement and that their common sense pronunciations still carry weight. HBSA, honestly PM me and I can support your application. I was one of the original section 7 1 and 3 holders but it was the NRA that finally did me in mentally and financially for all the lack of enjoyment of my own property. Yes .455 Webley can be both at the same time but your FAC is issued locally not nationally and welcome to the drama club if and when you want to challenge them!
    It took me 3 years to get my .410 shot pistol released for use despite not being confiscated when the ban came in and I challenged the plod without a court case to overturn conditions on my ticket based on an RSPCA recommendation that my local force thought should be a law!
    Still really do PM me, I have been in the HBSA for about 20 years and even Henry Toombs will vouch for me!