Secrets and Lies Shroud Origins of Giant Swastika

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by armchair_jihad, Sep 16, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. TASH-BASHAT, Kyrgyzstan — The forest stands overhead in the dusty mountain air, a dense composition of fir trees on a slope, planted by labor gangs decades ago. This is the so-called Eki Naryn swastika, a man-made arrangement of trees near the edge of the Himalayas. It is at least 60 years old, according to the region’s forestry service, and roughly 600 feet across.

Legend has it that German prisoners of war, pressed into forestry duty after World War II, duped their Soviet guards and planted rows of seedlings in the shape of the emblem Hitler had chosen as his own. More than 20 years later, the trees rose tall enough to be visible from the village beneath. Only then did the swastika appear, a time-delayed act of defiance by vanquished soldiers marooned in a corner of Stalin’s Soviet Union.

Or did they?

Article in full

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/16/world/asia/16swastika.html?pagewanted=1&ei=5094&en=c5ba2dc82edf81cc&hp&ex=1158465600&partner=homepage

2. Very, Very Surreal

3. There is something similar in the forests of N Germany. Nothing like as big but when I was at Detmold I flew over the site.
    john
    Men on the aviation forum would know.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Surreal, but surely if they were Nazis they would have got it the correct way round? The one seen through the window on the picture seems to be spinning clockwise, which makes it the ancient Buddist/Hindu symbol rather than the Nazi anti clockwise 'evil' version.

BTW we have a convent in Preston (Lancs) with closkcwise Swaztikas running round the outside in the stone work!!

5. I can't remember where I read this but recall an old lady oop north being interviewed about the German PoW who was assigned to help her around the house during the last years of the war.

She said that she had thought him a thoroughly nice young man as he did all the gardening that her arthritis wouldn't allow her to do until the spring after he was repatriated when all the flowers he had planted grew and revealed that he had spelt out "heil hitler" with the bulbs!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Reminds me of the "TITO" woods in the FRY...amazing feats of arboriculture, whatever the reasoning behind them.

7. sorry mate - look again - it's definitely not in the buddist/hindu format :D The prevalence of the swastika here in Singapore certainly causes a few double-takes until you get used to it :D

lancslad

8. The NY Times published only one picture with that article and it is so small that you can barely make out what's on the hillside outside never mind an actual NAZI Swastika. I remain unconvinced that there is a swastika in this former Soviet republic.

9. 8 years, nice one.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Holy night of the living thread, Batman! Have you been mulling that over for eight years?

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. Well, why did it come up as a new post then, riddle me that, Batman. :?

• Like Like x 1
  12. I didn't see it until you posted. Are you talking about in the what's new list?

13. Got a big one in my back garden made out of privet hedges, my neighbours, the Goldsteins are not amused.

• Like Like x 2

14. (i best say something - you get into trouble for posting things without saying things. It's an arrse thing).