Secret US Reconn Missions In Iran Underway?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Not_Whistlin_Dixie, Jan 16, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From an unnamed "government consultant" and an unnamed "former high-level intelligence official" via The New Yorker and Reuters:

"The United States has been conducting secret reconnaissance missions inside Iran to help identify potential nuclear, chemical and missile targets, The New Yorker magazine reported Sunday.

"...the secret missions have been going on at least since last summer with the goal of identifying target information for three dozen or more suspected sites.

"[Author Seymour] Hersh quotes one government consultant with close ties to the Pentagon as saying, 'The civilians in the Pentagon want to go into Iran and destroy as much of the military infrastructure as possible.'

"One former high-level intelligence official told The New Yorker, 'This is a war against terrorism, and Iraq is just one campaign. The Bush administration is looking at this as a huge war zone. Next, we're going to have the Iranian campaign.'"

"Report: U.S. Conducting Secret Missions Inside Iran" 16 January 2005
  2. Not that bloody secret then!
  3. I cannot believe anyone in the know would even talk to that communist er columnist. Of course the US wouldnt be surveilling Iran's military facilities! Iran being a friendly democratic country and all. Hersh is just trying to stir the pot and see what bubbles up.
  4. How much you want to bet there are some British chaps there too?
  5. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Apart from the fact that Dubbya named, NAMED, Iran (or for the benefit of our American readers EYERAN (away)) as part of the Axle of Elvis
  6. Was it axle or axis?
  7. "Axle of ELVIS" :roll:
  8. I should have read the question. I'm off to spank myself for being a cnut.
  9. Axis of EViL. I suppose he could have described the rogue states as the Axis of Satan. Or just called them the devil's spawn. I doubt that we could wait for god to punish them with a plague or hungry locusts or floods. Instead they must be punished by the coalition of the rightous !!
  10. Someone who wanted to jerk Iran's chain would talk to Hersh and say exactly what was apparently said.

I recall the disclosure of many such "secrets," pertaining to Iraq, in the run-up to the invasion.
  11. I thought that we were going to Saudi first, followed by Iran then N Korea?
  12. Now, don't be forgetting Syria. This is from Investor's Business Daily, 18 January 2005:

"Middle East: Recent reports indicate that hard-liners in the White House have been considering taking out insurgent training camps in Syria. In the words of Neil Young: 'Should have been done long ago.'"

"Free Ride Is Over"
  13. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

For the "Axel of Elvis" comment; blame R4 (Dead Ringers). The original Axis of Evil, was Iraq, Iran, and the Democratic Peoples Republic of North Korea.

Of the three, the first has no WMD, the second might have WMD (but they're not telling), and the third probably do have WMD (but they'll pretend that they don't so long as the japs are nice ti them).

Any one fancy a tour to the far east?
  14. You are right but I'm sure I read an article somewhere stating that dear old Condoleeza had her beady little eye on Saudi as well.
  15. I wouldn't put nowt past the yanks, there war hungry and want to be next british empire but too thick to go about it the right way...