Secret US Reconn Missions In Iran Underway?

From an unnamed "government consultant" and an unnamed "former high-level intelligence official" via The New Yorker and Reuters:

"The United States has been conducting secret reconnaissance missions inside Iran to help identify potential nuclear, chemical and missile targets, The New Yorker magazine reported Sunday.

"...the secret missions have been going on at least since last summer with the goal of identifying target information for three dozen or more suspected sites.

"[Author Seymour] Hersh quotes one government consultant with close ties to the Pentagon as saying, 'The civilians in the Pentagon want to go into Iran and destroy as much of the military infrastructure as possible.'

"One former high-level intelligence official told The New Yorker, 'This is a war against terrorism, and Iraq is just one campaign. The Bush administration is looking at this as a huge war zone. Next, we're going to have the Iranian campaign.'"

"Report: U.S. Conducting Secret Missions Inside Iran" 16 January 2005
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=564&u=/nm/iran_usa_newyorker_dc&printer=1

I cannot believe anyone in the know would even talk to that communist er columnist. Of course the US wouldnt be surveilling Iran's military facilities! Iran being a friendly democratic country and all. Hersh is just trying to stir the pot and see what bubbles up.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Apart from the fact that Dubbya named, NAMED, Iran (or for the benefit of our American readers EYERAN (away)) as part of the Axle of Elvis

Axis of EViL. I suppose he could have described the rogue states as the Axis of Satan. Or just called them the devil's spawn. I doubt that we could wait for god to punish them with a plague or hungry locusts or floods. Instead they must be punished by the coalition of the rightous !!

tomahawk6 said:
I cannot believe anyone in the know would even talk to that communist er columnist. Of course the US wouldnt be surveilling Iran's military facilities! Iran being a friendly democratic country and all. Hersh is just trying to stir the pot and see what bubbles up.
Someone who wanted to jerk Iran's chain would talk to Hersh and say exactly what was apparently said.

I recall the disclosure of many such "secrets," pertaining to Iraq, in the run-up to the invasion.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
For the "Axel of Elvis" comment; blame R4 (Dead Ringers). The original Axis of Evil, was Iraq, Iran, and the Democratic Peoples Republic of North Korea.

Of the three, the first has no WMD, the second might have WMD (but they're not telling), and the third probably do have WMD (but they'll pretend that they don't so long as the japs are nice ti them).

Any one fancy a tour to the far east?

But what exactly are the US going to use ? They're not exactly overburdened with deployable assets now are they - most are already deployed. I'm not convinced that there is enough stuff available to kick off anywhere else until Iraq sorts itself out. For a permanent deployment (ie Iraq) you need at least three times as many troops - one set working up, one in theatre and one winding down. Add in beatup training, POTL and travel/handover and even then you're looking at being away from home one year in every two. Add in the need to train your large turnover on young men joining teeth arms on short engagements and things look worse. And they are deployed elsewhere in the world.

Of course you can use bombers and carriers but there are hardly scads of those lurking around unused either.

So I don't see a credible stick being waved until Iraq is sorted out. This means that Iran, Syria and everyone else on the list now see aiding the insurgency in Iraq as directly aiding their national interests, as it delays an attack on themselves. Was that really the plan ?

Of course the US can kick off an air campaign against Iran, but the Iranians can ship in troops to keep the US snarled up in Iraq. They don't need military vehicles, just blokes in civvy cars - you could even send them in unarmed, given the amount of kit sloshing round in Iraq. Or maybe even launch an all out offensive to cut the oil supply - mines, Exocets, Boghammars and so on. That really would be a threat.

And the US will be doing all of this alone. All the post 9/11 goodwill has gone now and no-one, not even that fool Blair, will be daft enough to buy into something like that. Bring it on ? There are an awful lot of people opposed to the US who are just praying that they will overstretch themselves in Iran before Iraq is sorted out.

One_of_the_strange said:
And the US will be doing all of this alone. All the post 9/11 goodwill has gone now and no-one, not even that fool Blair, will be daft enough to buy into something like that. Bring it on ? There are an awful lot of people opposed to the US who are just praying that they will overstretch themselves in Iran before Iraq is sorted out.
1. They see the "overstretch" as good insofar as it nails down the case for (i) reinstating the draft and (ii) letting some really big contracts for more armor, planes, missiles, etc.

2. I'm of the opinion P.M. Blair will do as he's told.

I doubt the UK would join in. B liar would not survive another military foray.[/quote]

So let's keep it quiet ey? Send them in along with a few others and see what happens. Less political backlash.

Not_Whistlin_Dixie said:
One_of_the_strange said:
1. They see the "overstretch" as good insofar as it nails down the case for (i) reinstating the draft and (ii) letting some really big contracts for more armor, planes, missiles, etc.

2. I'm of the opinion P.M. Blair will do as he's told.
Unfortunately I think you're probably right!! :roll: