Secret tunnels up for sale

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by brettarider, Oct 19, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just seen this on the BBC website nice peice of cold war history what's the odds it'll become a data storage facility with it's location some nice pics of the BT frames as well but then I'm an anorak :)
  2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Why hi vis vests, not any trains or lorries running around down there?

4. There is sort of.
    It is connected to Chancery Lane tube station :D
  5. I was just thinking that I had seen something about ths on TV in the past week and recalled it was Griff Rhys Jones presenting. There is some discussion on this forum:

I recall they stated, in the programme, that there were more, undiscovered tunnels.
  6. If you like that kind of stuff look here
  7. Very similar to the parallel Northern Line tunnel in the Stockwell/Clapham area constructed during the 40's as, immediately, bomb shelters but with the forward thinking that they would ease congestion on the Tube when the war was over.

The forward thinking died somewhere along the line (sorry), the tunnel being sold for data storage and the congestion on the Northern Line steadily getting worse.
  8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I did some work for an organisation connected with these tunnels etc and thats all I can say apart from the fact that there was more info when researched via google on these so called sensitive sites than the client actually held!
  9. They were also the setting for James Herbert's book "Lair" set in Post holocaust Britain too, as for Subterennea Brittanica, did some survey work for them in the 90's on old ROC bunkers