Secret Taliban talks under way

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Feb 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 'Secret' Taliban talks under way

Talks centre around the return to Afghanistan of Gulbaldin Hekmatyar, the former prime minister

Western officials, the Afghan government and Taliban-linked mediators have been engaged in secret negotiations to bring elements of the group into Afghanistan's political process, Al Jazeera has learned.

The talks, which have been taking place in Dubai, London and Afghanistan since the beginning of the year, have proposed the return of Gulbaldin Hekmatyar, the former Afghan prime minister, who has been in hiding for seven years, to Afghanistan.

Hekmatyar is the leader of the Hezb-i-Islami forces, a faction of Afghanistan's Hezb-i-Islami party, and is purported to be in the northwest tribal region of Pakistan.

His forces fight alongside the Taliban and are considered a terrorist organisation by the United States forces in Afghanistan.
    More on the link
    http://english.aljazeera.net/news/asia/2009/02/2009226183226955390.html

2. And that is REALLY going to help the state of the country isn't it.

3. Bordtea, your sig makes any thread it's in unreadable. Please bin it.

4. I sincerely hope you are not suggesting there are undesirable elements in Londonstan or the left have been sucking up to certain factions that most of the UK population would not vote for.

Not really a story, been going on for years....

5. Unfortunately it may actually be part of a wider solution , assuming Hekmatyar can be persuaded we're there to do the country some good.

6. Ah yes GH, an old skool ISI asset. Tough as old nails and none to fond of unveiled females. Certainly a strong man. A devious one too. Turned his coat enough times to outrage Machiavelli.

I smell Langley in this and Riyadh shoveling cash to any righteous beardy nutter behind them.

7. Hekmatyar......f*cking bad news for Afghanistan, a very bad idea.....who thinks this sh*t up?!!

8. What is so strange about this? After all, they, behind backs,had talks with P.I.R.A.,did they not?Just par for the course.Foreign Office policy,sell out everyone,just so long as we are o.k. Doesn't matter to them who their friends are, does it?

9. Well Hamid on the Karzi was an old Haliburton man and now the power behind the throne of King George is gone , I suppose it's time for a real old fashion Hafgan troat slitter ta get back in a position of real power.
    Can anyone say when Ganistan last had a Powerful Central Government ?
    john

10. Forgive me if im wrong but, the only thing resemblimg central governance may well have been the UK back in the days before the infamous retreat from Kabul... although from what Ive read it wasnt really all that central or all that governing...

May be wrong though :x

Edited:
    Having just taken a brief look inside my "colins history of the world" it may appear that there hasnt been any really stable government all the way back to Alexander the great ... Afghan history reads like a cross between a jason bourne movie and.... something with even more brutal killings in...

11. Not secret anymore are they

12. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Indeed.

The only time Afghanistan was tamed was by Alexander the Great, and the only way he managed it was by killing EVERY fcuker in the place. That learned 'em!

13. Nadir Shah in thirties? Although he was a real old fashioned throat slitter, who surrounded himself with trusted family members; all of whom were throat slitters too! He was assassinated himself in 1933...and indeed his successor also kept his foot on the ball.

14. You need to take and give in these sorts of situations, if it worked in NI and Iraq, why not here?