Secret recordings of German POWs.

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by chocolate_frog, Sep 22, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. About ten years ago, there were skinhead riots in a German city - possibly Munich - in protest at an exhibition of photos and statements showing the Wehrmacht engaging in atrocities.

When we wanted the West Germans as allies against the Soviets after the War, it was thought better to blame everything on the SS to reduce public disquiet at being allied to such creatures.

See also Reitlinger, Gerald, The SS: Alibi of a Nation, 1922-1945.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. I was based in Hohne for a while.

Always made me laugh that 'nobody knew' despite the rail head being where inmates were dropped off, and then marched to Belson.

How do you miss a column of 1,000s marching through fields? with guards.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. by turning your head?
    • Like Like x 5
  4. Have just ordered this book, hopefully will be an interesting read.
  5. Seem to remember reading a book similar to this but containing the recorded conversations of the German Generals and other Senior officers, etc.
  6. This reminds me of a photographic exhibition held in Paris a couple of years back; it showed lots of well fed Parisians enjoying life with their German conquerors. There was a great outcry due to the fact that all the French were starving, in the resistance, and hated the Boche. That was the accepted orthodoxy.

There was a similar protest when 'Piece of cake' was televised, a work of fiction mind, portraying some Battle of Britain pilots not to be the nonchalant heros of legend.

I find it hard to believe that all the murderous pyschopaths and Jew haters were 'streamed' into the SS, but as Pygshyt says, there were pragmatic reasons for the story at the time.
  7. I can't remember the programme, but there was an interview with an old German girl.

I'm not judging her now, because I feel she was a tortured soul, but she admitted that she grassed her neighbour up to the Gestapo for a 'crime' she knew would have her in a concentration camp. She was very candid about it.

It certainly showed that the Gestapo truely needed the people to function, rather than the stereotype that they had 'spies' and monitoring apperatus everywhere.
  8. I remember that. She was still filled with guilt and shame even decades later.
  9. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Good old daily mail, discovering things 50 years after everyone else.

The myth of the SS is not the only one. We now have the "Germans were victims too" myth, that someone 70 million innocent people were oppressed by an alien race of Nazis who beamed down in 33 and disappeared in 45, leaving poor old Hans and Helga to face the music. My children are taught about the "German resistance" at school. I don't think their teachers appreciate the alternative view that I put on it
    • Like Like x 1
  10. No mate, My memory of it is different. The programme was 'Nazis - A warning from history'. She acted the innocent and denied all knowledge of what happeend to her neighbour until the paperwork was shoved under her lying bitch nose complete with various signatures, etc.

She had bubbled her neighbour for wearing mens clothes and acting 'Un German' - the neighbour was a bean flicker.
  11. You're right; I was mongishly getting her confused with an interview I saw with Hitler's old secretary.

In my defence I've recently given up drink and smoking, have a dreadful head-cold and both the missus and the girlfriend are up on blocks.
  12. FFS! Go on the pi55 and get another girlfriend......standards!
    • Like Like x 1
  13. I think this may have been "Nazi`s: A warning from history".

Interesting. I suppose it will happen (and always has) even with the non politically motivated soldiers. The whole "guilt and redemption" aspect of post war Germany has barely been touched on in the popular media.

I also remember an interview with a Waffen SS fella and his words always stuck with me. When asked why he joined the Waffen SS and fought he simply said "so as not to fall into mediocrity". This fella was in his late 80`s but still got agitated when asked about his Eastern Front experiences and atrocities.
  14. IIRC there was a programme on not long ago about the SS. It had interviews with regular German troops and a remember a couple of old blokes state that; 'Everyone lived in fear of the SS because those were the only ones who committed (in his words) very very bad sins.'

You could just tell he was talking bollocks. I mean, I don't know how many troops the S.S had but with the scale of the atrocities, it could hardly have been carried out just by them.