Secret plan to use Maze site for foreign prisoners

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by armchair_jihad, Nov 5, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. MPs oppose 'desperate' proposal to ease jails overcrowding crisis

The government is considering a secret plan to turn part of the Maze prison in Northern Ireland into a jail for foreign prisoners, The Observer can reveal. The move has astonished prison experts who have described it as a desperate act to contain the overcrowding crisis in Britain's jails.

in full

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/politics/story/0,,1939897,00.html

2. I thought work had started already in clearing the site?.

3. Seems like a reasonable thing to do,a sensible use of existing resources at a time of severe lack of capacity in the Prison system in mainland UK.If it requires primary legislation so be it, get cracking. As for objections from within NI, well "I feel your pain " but needs must I'm afraid. Can't really see why this should be particularly controversial, I'd personally be much more opposed to any memorials beijng erected on the site to past Republican Slimmers of the Year , presumably at public expense?

4. sheldrake

sheldrake RIP

Ditto. Couldn't have put it better myself. Perhaps the Sands Suite could be reserved for some of the more worthy causes? :twisted: