• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Second World War clashes named as 'Greatest British Battle'

Whilst important I fail to see how the two 'clashes' could rival huge set-piece efforts like Waterloo or D-Day. It seems a bit odd.
Neither can in truth be deemed "British" - there were a couple of Septics at D Day and a if it were not for the arrival of Blucher with the Prussian Army at Waterloo, the outcome might have been very different

Neither can in truth be deemed "British" - there were a couple of Septics at D Day and a if it were not for the arrival of Blucher with the Prussian Army at Waterloo, the outcome might have been very different
By that token, Imphal and Kohima were international affairs too. Imperial and Commonwealth forces resupplied by air with US help...

They were undoubtedly a great feat but given that they were part of a pattern of advance and withdrawal over the same territory and were made the final episode by events elsewhere draining Japanese ability to continue, I wonder why they were chosen?

By that token, Imphal and Kohima were international affairs too. Imperial and Commonwealth forces resupplied by air with US help...

They were undoubtedly a great feat but given that they were part of a pattern of advance and withdrawal over the same territory and were made the final episode by events elsewhere draining Japanese ability to continue, I wonder why they were chosen?
Agreed, which is why I picked Quebec (from the list of contenders) on the Other Thread

Yes but if you read the article you will see that the first paragraph reads so; 'The twin Second World War clashes of Imphal and Kohima have been named as the greatest ever battle involving British forces'.

It doesn't say involving only British forces.

Nothing can compare to the Battle of Cafe Wichdig in Herford about 1987. Blood snot & dessie boots everywhere. Involving 16/5 L , 7 Sig Regt & an unknown quantity of Turks. Never in my life have I seen so many mustachioed , windmilling madmen.. It was hell... you werent there Maaan.

Nothing can compare to the Battle of Cafe Wichdig in Herford about 1987. Blood snot & dessie boots everywhere. Involving 16/5 L , 7 Sig Regt & an unknown quantity of Turks. Never in my life have I seen so many mustachioed , windmilling madmen.. It was hell... you werent there Maaan.
Turk dont surf!!!!

Latest Threads