Second shot at life?

SCIENTISTS have created eerie zombie dogs, reanimating the canines after several hours of clinical death in attempts to develop suspended animation for humans.
US scientists have succeeded in reviving the dogs after three hours of clinical death, paving the way for trials on humans within years.

Pittsburgh's Safar Centre for Resuscitation Research has developed a technique in which subject's veins are drained of blood and filled with an ice-cold salt solution.

The animals are considered scientifically dead, as they stop breathing and have no heartbeat or brain activity.

But three hours later, their blood is replaced and the zombie dogs are brought back to life with an electric shock.

Plans to test the technique on humans should be realised within a year, according to the Safar Centre.

However rather than sending people to sleep for years, then bringing them back to life to benefit from medical advances, the boffins would be happy to keep people in this state for just a few hours,

But even this should be enough to save lives such as battlefield casualties and victims of stabbings or gunshot wounds, who have suffered huge blood loss.

During the procedure blood is replaced with saline solution at a few degrees above zero. The dogs' body temperature drops to only 7C, compared with the usual 37C, inducing a state of hypothermia before death.

Although the animals are clinically dead, their tissues and organs are perfectly preserved.

Damaged blood vessels and tissues can then be repaired via surgery. The dogs are brought back to life by returning the blood to their bodies,giving them 100 per cent oxygen and applying electric shocks to restart their hearts.

Tests show they are perfectly normal, with no brain damage.

"The results are stunning. I think in 10 years we will be able to prevent death in a certain segment of those using this technology," said one US battlefield doctor.
Source

I think it's scary and awesome at the same time. Think of all the lives this could potentially save yet something just doesn't click :eek:

I heard that to get the the stage they are at, countless dogs suffered terribly and many where left severely brain damaged. But all in the pursuit of science eh?

devilish said:
I heard that to get the the stage they are at, countless dogs suffered terribly and many where left severely brain damaged. But all in the pursuit of science eh?
That's often the case when they're experimenting with something new. :?

G

Goku

devilish said:
I’d rather see them experiment on an animal and get it wrong than experiment on a human and get it wrong.

True mate and it is for a good cause. I just don't like things being painted in a "all things are rosy" light when it isn't the case.

The one and only experiment on a human was several years ago. The human concerned is now a law student, and the pioneers of the procedure have made thair apologies to all concerned.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I thought he was rather a senior Officer in an Army of a country not far off the coast of mainland Europe. No names no, no pack drills (PO.....)

It doesn't sit nicely with me, it could save lifes but, it just isn't natural..guess there's no doggy heaven for them to go to then.

There was an episode of Judge Dredd (some one had left the comic loafing) where the perp was killed in a shoot out with the judges. Because of the heinious nature of the crime, Dredd has the perp's body put into Mega City One's secret cryogenic storage.

Dredd explains; "When science can bring him back to life, he will receive his proper punishment".

Comics, full of ideas for law enforcement and justice.

307 said:
It doesn't sit nicely with me, it could save lifes but, it just isn't natural..guess there's no doggy heaven for them to go to then.
To be fair - surgery itself isn't natural!!

Though I wouldn't like to try it, and where would they story your blood??

i agree oneshot look at transplants, there the body is fighting to reject

the new organ because it thinks its a foreign body, when it was first developed people hated the idea

happens all the time now, one must adjust to changes in technology

at the moment if someones heart stops for longer than 20 minutes aprox they have brain damage and no quality of life.
Because there is no oxgen circulating around the brain

do anyone know of anyone who as survived longer than this period

This is merely re-defining death, I think.
Death used to be the termination of heart/brain and vital organ activities. It's been messed with and modified and this is just another attempt. Impressive as it is, it gives me an eery feeling!

The endless possibility, if it's REALLY painful then stop using dogs! There are serial killers that could be killed, revived and killed again. Think of it! Timothy McVey paying for each individual life he took again and again and again....

I'd have him die in the good name of science for each one of those chairs, especially the little ones.....

As to people being deprived of oxygen for periods of longer than 20 minutes, yes LS it has happened and they have made full recoveries with NO brain damage. Google it and see. However as a LS can you tell us the legal implications of the length of time a person can be certified clinically dead before they are covered by the year and a day ruling if resuscitated?

Beebs

blessed baby cakes:
You bring up a brilliant point. :) I think it's about time we put them to good use, those serial killers. That'd be a way to attempt and pay for all the lives they'd taken + what's a better torture method? Way to go!

Radical_Dreamer said:
This is merely re-defining death, I think.
Death used to be the termination of heart/brain and vital organ activities. It's been messed with and modified and this is just another attempt. Impressive as it is, it gives me an eery feeling!
I have to agree with Radical here it is an amazing advance but there is something about it that just isn't right.

They say that they are planning to experiment with humans in the future but who is going to volunteer for it. Using serial killers is all well and good to us but i doubt it would get past the lefty-pinko to$$ers.

Latest Threads