Second Life...

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Nehustan, Nov 20, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

[align=center][​IMG][/align]

I spent more time than I should have this weekend in a virtual world called 'Second Life', it's definately worth a visit. I'm thinking of buying a plot for various reasons and building a nice construct for myself. I was wondering if anyone had visited this community, and was thinking it might be an ideal place for Arrse to build a virtual NAAFI, just a thought...

[align=center]Second Life -Wiki Entry[/align]

[align=center]Second Life Home Page[/align]

2. Ahh Sadville as some call it for some reason or other.

Check the terms and conditions very carefully, since you're exchanging sterling/dollars for temporary electrons that you have very little control over. Quite a few people are being caught out there with ref to the intelectual property concept.

3. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Interesting, I already spent £2 on some garms and a haircut...ROFL...Sad is my middle name (actually its not but thats a whole other story ;))

4. Actually, I find the whole idea of online communities very interesting, and I would like to devote some time to research on it, when I eventually graduate.

Interesting fact for you: I did read somewhere that Second Life was being used to give some groups of society, a social life - e.g. people with disabilities etc. I really think that it does have a lot of potential in that aspect.

Although most of us ex-servicemen can prob. comment on how ARRSE provides us with some of the things that we miss about the Army - mainly the sense of humour and loyality amongst most of us. I mean, how many other online communities can you post "I need a job" and receive serious replies.

*no editing for poor spelling!

5. ARRSE invasion of Second Life for anyone? That would go down a storm. I think the original membership is free or some such.

6. I joined Secondlife last week as it happens.

Once I'd got used to the F key and arrows for flying, etc I landed in what appeared to be a student haunt.. all very wierd and psychadelic.

Got chatted up, pushed her off the ledge I had landed on, got reprimanded by some other geek for pushing the other person off, so pushed them off as well.

Got fed up, deleted account. I think it's still there for 30 days or so though as they have a 'come back if you want to' period

Watchmy Tracer was the name.

Basic membership is free however they ask for bank details.

Best have a decent internet connection though! It doesnt like 56k dial up or low band BB

7. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Yep me too Lobster, I carried out an ethnography using IRC and looked into the whole online thing, very interesting from an academic perspective. There is an area called 'Hyperborea' that has a building run by a PhD student at University of Surrey. Has people's papers in there on these kind of topics, definately worth a look like I said if you have the chance. I think I have found another addiction 8O

8. I saw 2nd Life as another form of pyramid selling. OK if you get in early (maybe) but it soon gets that half the world is trying to sell to the other half.