Second Life - Technical Enquiries

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by PartTimePongo, Jan 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well, thought I'd start a technical thread with a question for those a bit more experienced

Can I edit/build offline? The speed online is a nause. Also, can primitives (prims) be imported?

Been all over the tecchie bits, and can't find anything. :(

2. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Unfortunately not - you've got to do it all online.

3. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Not that I know loads about SL, been there a while tho'. As far as I know all 3d modelling has to be done in world. Obviously textures can be prepared offline to cover primitives, and any scripting to include in the object...

4. Thanks Fellas,

Oh well, better start getting to grips with it then :(

Bosses, is there going to be a 2nd life additional gallery in Coppermine?

Only those pagan Goat costumes and frankly scary avatars some Arrsers have should be immortalised :D

5. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

6. Its not showing up as able to upload to that gallery at present. Give it a bit of time?

7. Any chance you could set it so we can get a landmark from the island AND make it so we can make it 'home' at the moment its stating the owner doesnt allow it, which is a pain in the backside.

8. Any techno gurus know any way for me to improve the performance so it runs better.
    All the graphics load but it lags like a bastid after ive been on for a bit.
    Nehustan mentioned the graphics card and maximising performance on it,
    Any help much appreciated.

9. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Suits_U, put instructions to run full hardware acceleration on a GFX card in the other thread.

10. Cheers for that nehustan, still no joy though, still very jumpy.
    Could it be my RAM, or have you any more suggestions. Thanks for all the help

11. You could try killing any unused applications that are running in the back ground. (Right click on task bar/Task manager/processes. Reorg to Mem usage and kill the non critical processes).

12. why thankyou

13. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

I'm still waiting for the weekend, because my shite laptop can't handle SL

Apparently the tutorial is online, is there anything I can bone(lol) up on without logging into SL before I get back to my gaming PC on friday? Scripts, commands, etc etc

I'm probably only going to get the weekend to access SL so i want to do as much as possible in there.

I'm dying out here, and this laptop is off in the bin!

14. I wouldnt attempt it at the moment anyway, the Island is broken!

That isnt a cue for everyone to dash to find out if it is indeed broken, it is!!

Boss, can't move, no control of character at all.....lagging like a bitch, everywhere seems fine just the land of ARRSE not working well at all......

I blame Nehustan, he broke it!