second life inventory

A lot of residents spend vast amounts of money "looking good" in Second Life
(yes you know who you are) If your inventory goes to pot as the game is fond of doing to you you are left nothing bar what you are stood in. I found a utility that can organise your inventory off line and by doing so shows you on your PC where the inventory file is hidden so you can take a copy on a regular basis for safe keeping, shneeeky :thumright:
offline inventory whatnot

Butler, is your inv compressed and stored as a .zip file? as per the instructions for this piece of software. Because mine isnt, the're compressed and stored as .gz files.

Q: What is SL My Inventory Viewer?
A: SL My Inventory Viewer allows a Second Life (SL) game player to view his/her 'My Inventory' object properties out-world (not logged into SL). It can not change the player's inventory items because it does not connect with the Second Life interface. It does read a cache (a temporary file) .inv file on the player's harddrive. This file normally contains a current list of all of the player's inventory items. Q: How do I use SL My Inventory Viewer?
A: Perform the following steps after installation:
1) Browse to your .inv file. It will be found at this location on your harddrive:
C:\Documents and Settings\LoginName\Application Data\SecondLife\cache\xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx.inv.zip

2) Unzip the .inv out of your xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx.inv.zip.
The program will NOT read the .inv file while it is in the .zip. You MUST
unzip this file yourself. (Future versions of the program will enable this
or develop an application yourself by downloading the open source.)

3) Run SL My Inventory Viewer and click the browse button.

4) Browse to the location of your unzipped .inv file. It will load the file. Q: Where do I download the open source?
A: A C# Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 project may be downloaded for members of the SL My Inventory Yahoo! Group in the 'Files' section. You may leave the group after downloading, or stay aboard and post your own version. Q: How does it work?
A: Second Life creates temporary files in a cache folder. Before Second Life application exits, it compresses a file xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx.inv file contained in a .zip file. The .inv file is a simple ascii text file with the avatar's My Inventory infomation. The .inv file does not get uploaded to the SL servers, unless I am mistaken. It is only used for temporary storage. All of the avatar's My Inventory is stored on SL servers so don't worry about losing your inventory items. Q: Why do I want to view My Inventory out-world?
A: For a couple of reasons:

* To make a list of what items you want to delete.
* To make a list of what items you want to move.
* You are developing an object out-world and you need to look at your inventory but you don't want to sign-in.
hope this helps i'm next door at the moment (on duty) but will see what form my archive takes in a bit :thumright:
I do know that winrar handles that type of file though

Not got a problem with .gz files, and winrar does extract them. I just wondered why the instructions deal with the file saved as a .zip file and not a .gz file. Also, i appear to have 2 inventory files, both with different stuff in them.

boney_m said:
Not got a problem with .gz files, and winrar does extract them. I just wondered why the instructions deal with the file saved as a .zip file and not a .gz file. Also, i appear to have 2 inventory files, both with different stuff in them.
I would imagine the instructions were produced before the current version.
There has been 2 or three upgrades to my knowledge this year alone.
As to the 2 inventory files I am guessing they are different sizes the larger being your current inventory and the smaller a standard Get you in pack. Just guessing though I'm going to look further into it later.

Minxy said:
*taps nails* to save inventory or not to save inventory...hmmmmm
If it stops you and Pye going "I've got nothing to fucking wear!!!!!!" - DO IT!!!! :mrgreen:

Minxy said:
Its true, I have nothing to wear!!!! :shakefist:
The offer to tailor you a cute little WRAC uniform still stands Minxy... You know you want one really.

B-T

I thought you were just playing hard to get...

If you get the error ".Net Framwork v2.0.50727 mising, please contact your Publisher" etc, use this link for the file:

.Net Framework V2

If you cannot see the Second life folder in your application data, in windows explorer go to Extras > Options > View and set the radio button to show hidden files and folders.

Laddie