Second Life - could someone explain the fascination?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by schadenfreude, Mar 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I considered posting this on the Second Life forum, but decided I would be more likely to get an answer here. When I was last looking at arrse, I noticed a lot of excitement about Second Life ........ I even tried to join, but this PC would only let me get so far in the process.

Looking through the Second Life forum just now, I saw there was EVEN a photo gallery, which looked like stills from a game. I'm really baffled by the whole concept. How long do "gamers"? spend on it?

Can anyone explain it's appeal?

2. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

I guess it really a chat thing, well it is for me. I've used chat clients for years, in fact one of the first I used was called 'The Palace' on a Mac many moons ago, which was a 2D virtual world with rooms. This just takes chatting to the Nth degree. You have your own 'avatar' (3d character) and you can wander round chatting with friends or doing stupid stuff. Its really quite puerile, but can be fun. Not so much a game, rather a second life.

Is it a waste of time? Quite possibly; but then there's a whole heap of things that varying people categorise as a waste of time...

3. You only have to look at my signature to see how long I spend on second life.
    I wont try and sell you the concept but explain some of the things that keep people hooked.
    Social.

It can be used like a chat room programme or MSN where people can get together online and have a natter. The extra advantage of being able to create your own avatar and change it as many times as you like to suit your mood.

Gaming appeal.

There are a variety of island that provide first person shooter type simulators and role playing games the weapons and vehicles are limitless.
    On a plus side second life is free and there are enough free items available to enjoy without pending on any of the millions of things you can buy online.

Nerd appeal.

There is the facility to build anything from clothing to sky scrapers and add a script to make it interact like a real object. If you can build something good you can then sell it to others and make money. There are actual millionaires who have made their fortune selling on second life.

Conclusion.
    It's free it's a good laugh, you meet a lot of people from all over the world and some of them you can shoot. Oh and if you are into virtual sex (not my cup of tea BTW) there's more of that than you can shake a.... well you know.
    hope this helps shame your PC isn't up to it it is a very demanding app. :thumright:

4. Thank you so much, Nehustan and the_butler, for your amazing replies. I'm a dinosaur with the internet, but I think your brilliant replies have given me far greater insight than I ever expected when I posted my question.

Once, when visiting a teacher friend of mine, he showed me a site called "Chatpoint", on which you chose a gender, race and outfit and went into rooms/beaches and chatted to people ....... or hurled abuse. I gather Second Life must be a way, way, way more sophisticated form of that.

And, as for wasting time, (as my wife will confirm) it's what I do best, so maybe it's a good job I couldn't access SL.

Thanks again.

5. Oh shit ! I thought you were one of these born again chaps!