Second jobs

Who has a second job

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
I hear more and more that serving personal are getting second jobs, just out of curiosity i wondered who has a second job, what they do any why!!

I hear more and more that serving personal are getting second jobs, just out of curiosity i wondered who has a second job, what they do any why!!
Back in the day I used to get a bit of temp or casual work when I was on leave. Simply because my civi mates had to work in the daytime. I did some pool-side work to look at the crumpet, and some Christmas casual postie days. The extra dosh was welcome,

I did a bit of driving, some first aid teaching, childrens entertaining and even got paid to teach recruits security procedures in the evenings, A civi company who'd been contracted to do the role didn't have the staff levels so paid us to do our job that they'd been paid to do.

Has your chap told you he is getting a job as a doorman at the local nightclub, and that all his mates have second jobs too?

Things may have changed but serving personnel were not allowed secondary employment in any security work.

If he has his cat c or c+e licence then a driving agency will provide the flexibility he will need.

I used to do work for driverhire, they have offices across the country.

I hear more and more that serving personal are getting second jobs, just out of curiosity i wondered who has a second job
Anyone who can get one, be bothered to get one, or needs to get one.

Two or three of my seniors worked at the Mars Bar factory in Slough, or the ice cream factory nearby. I used to bump into some others doing security work at Earls Court, London - not strictly allowed, but cash in the hand. I had learnt a trade and used to run my own little enterprise registered in the wifes name.

Buying a house, a car, nice holiday, expensive wife with ideas above her income level - take your pick.

Things may have changed but serving personnel were not allowed secondary employment in any security work.

If he has his cat c or c+e licence then a driving agency will provide the flexibility he will need.

I used to do work for driverhire, they have offices across the country.
I can't remember which document laid out the rules for secondary employment, but in 2013 (last time I had cause to check) security, volunteer police and fire service were not allowed.
I was allowed to do the volunteer ambulance response car though - as that was not formal shifts or on a call out system

And yet Cheeks night club used to have the Maroon Buffoons on the doors.

Last edited:
For three years I translated German technical handbooks into English. Mostly small domestic stuff, but some simple industrial/trade type stuff too. Quite good money and convenient to fit in around the day job. After a while you can almost cut and paste a lot of it, especially the 'don't stand in a bucket of water while operating this drill' stuff, safety data and disposal/recycling info.

My father wrote books for the OU as a second job - he was posted to Worthy Down at the time, and my Mother edited and typed them before sending them to the publisher

Latest Threads