Second-hand books from Amazon

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by Auld-Yin, May 10, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I would be interested to hear if anyone has tried buying second hand books through Amazon and how they found the experience.

I am probably a bit late in asking as I have gone ahead and ordered a couple of books that I read as a young man (yes I know - long time!). Both books left an impression on my youthful thinking and I am keen to see what I think of them now. Both are out of print. They are:

Covenant With Death by John Harris About a Pals Bn in WW1

HMS Leviathan by John Winton, About a new Commander (2IC) joining an Aircraft carrier and trying to get the ship functioning and working together. Although I am not of a nautical bent (or even bent), the story about trying to bring together the different branches and departments for the good of the ship and not their individual disciplines, especially trying to get the air wing to appreciate that they were actually in the RN and not RN being just a part of the air wing :)

Anyhoo, I will let you know the condition of the books and if I find I f2f a good way to get out of print books.
  2. I have done so a couple of times - great for books that you know you will only read once in any case. It was obvious that the books had been "pre-owned" - but were probably in better condition that a book from the public library for instance.

If these books have special worth for you for whatever reason, then buy new. Otherwise: no probs with pre-owned books
    • Like Like x 1
  3. I have bought quite alot of second hand books from Amazon and have found that their condition has always been accurately described. If anything the vendor understated the condition.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. I regularly buy second hand books on Amazon which come from several countries (the UK, Ireland and the US). Sometimes they can be cheap other times pricey, depending on title and current availability/interest. Never been disappointed with the condition, just choose carefully according to online description.

I did look for a dvd last night but the cheapest was £50 for a used one .... I don't suppose anyone has Another Time, Another Place by Michael Radford they want to sell cheaply?
  5. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

Agreed. Understated is how I would describe the description of books. Used good. V.good is worth the extra pennies.
    Only one arrived described as good. I described it as optimistic in the feedback. The seller reacted like I had taken a hatchet to his cat.
    Yanks are good if you aren't in a hurry.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
    • Like Like x 1
  6. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

I've bought a couple. No problems with condition, as rockpile says I think they edged on the side of caution when describing.
  7. again here, ordered many 2nd handers from Amazon. No problems whatsoever and the condition always pretty much as described.
  8. Same again all good
  9. Ditto what most have said here. Ive bought a few "rough guide" type books from Amazon and they were in excellent nick. Probably no worse than if you'd thumbed through them a few times yourself
  10. Bought literally hundreds of second hand books from Amazon. I've only had one negative experience where the book didn't turn up. I usually go for sellers who sell thousands of books on a weekly basis and have good feedback. I've found the site much cheaper than ebay and with a much greater variation of books to choose from.

All good.
  11. Rarely buy new books, Amazon 2nd hand always meet the description of condition and have - so far- arrived quickly
  12. I've bought s/h books from Amazon and also via ebay - never any problems. It's a lot easier than rummaging through s/h book shops, although I like doing that sometimes too.
  13. Hello Auld-yin.

Used them throughout Young Rat's sojourn at Uni. Ideal for the brute's reading list which normally would have required the income of a developing nation to fund. Never failed.
    Oh yes, " Covenant with Death " has been on my bookshelves for years.

Old Rat
  14. Ditto most of the above, however does anyone know if you buy a second hand book from Amazon, does the author receive any financial benefit from the sale?