Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Second chance

Astro42

Swinger
Hi all,

Back in 2016 I received a dishonourable discharged due to failing a drugs test towards the end of the 10 weeks basic. I failed for cannabis and trust me I did regret it a lot at the time.

Before I joined I smoked it a bit with friends, on the Christmas break I mistakenly had a smoke and was tested on my return.

4 years on I have a good career in insurance and haven't touched drugs since, I guess it really made me rethink my life at the time and hold myself accountable for my actions.

I always regret what happened back then and feel I have changed for the better in the 4-5 years its been. I still think about the life I could of had in the military and it makes me long for more, I loved my short time in the forces and always look back on the memories fondly.

I am asking now whether there is any point in applying again? I'm 27 now and my fitness is probably even better than when I left.

I understand what I did was wrong, I've had almost 5 years to reflect on it and trust me I look back at myself now and think "what an absolute moron", does anyone on here have any experience in recruitment and do you believe there's a chance for me?

Thanks all.

Yes. AGAI 40 (The Army's Recruitment Process) states you can apply to rejoin, as long as you were discharged over 2 years ago and Recruiting Group have obtained a waiver for you.

Good luck.

Astro42

Swinger
Yes. AGAI 40 (The Army's Recruitment Process) states you can apply to rejoin, as long as you were discharged over 2 years ago and Recruiting Group have obtained a waiver for you.

Good luck.
Thanks for your response,

Is this Army only or RAF. I was discharged from the RAF. I should of specified sorry.

If they will not entertain you then you could always do the French Foreign Legion. We have former members on here and a thread dedicated to the Legion vs. The Paras which would give some insight.

If you do go Legion just don't mention the waccy baccy at any point.

If they will not entertain you then you could always do the French Foreign Legion. We have former members on here and a thread dedicated to the Legion vs. The Paras which would give some insight.

If you do go Legion just don't mention the waccy baccy at any point.
RAF to the Legion, interesting.

He says he is fit.
No, I love it. The OP would have my utmost respect should he go that route.

He'd have my respect anyway for giving the forces a bash again, but the Legion would be a 'fun' choice.

Polyester

War Hero
Thanks for your response,

Is this Army only or RAF. I was discharged from the RAF. I should of specified sorry.
There is a rejoiners cell at RAF Cranwell mate. I don’t have their direct number but with a bit of effort you should be able to locate it. The rejoiners recruitment phone number is 0345 605 5555 (mon - fri). They should be able to guide you. You could also try live chat on the recruitment webpage.

Good luck.

E2A: Apologies just re-read your opening post. If you didn’t pass out of Halton then there is no point ringing the rejoiners cell. Just go through the normal recruitment Portal online. Can’t hurt to try.

Last edited:
No, I love it. The OP would have my utmost respect should he go that route.

He'd have my respect anyway for giving the forces a bash again, but the Legion would be a 'fun' choice.

Can't remember the name of the bloke, he was a rep for one of the gun companies. He was in and out of the Legion like a bloody yoyo, couple of times I think he went in and did basic. he said it got to the point where old mates gave him shit during basic just for giggles.

My logic was that the young chap says he is fit, and that he wants to give it a go again because he is missing something from life. So if the UK turn him down it is an option.

Astro42

Swinger
There is a rejoiners cell at RAF Cranwell mate. I don’t have their direct number but with a bit of effort you should be able to locate it. The rejoiners recruitment phone number is 0345 605 5555 (mon - fri). They should be able to guide you. You could also try live chat on the recruitment webpage.

Good luck.

E2A: Apologies just re-read your opening post. If you didn’t pass out of Halton then there is no point ringing the rejoiners cell. Just go through the normal recruitment Portal online. Can’t hurt to try.
Thank you, I did apply again but unfortunately they declined me due to my discharge.

Polyester

War Hero
Thank you, I did apply again but unfortunately they declined me due to my discharge.
Sorry to hear that mate. Sometimes that’s just how life goes. I don’t wish to patronise, but I’m going to; The armed forces isn’t the be all and end all. Loads of other opportunities out there in the world. Do yourself a favour, put it behind you and concentrate on doing well in your new career.

E2A; If the Army’s rules are different than why not consider a different route if your heart really is set on the Forces? What trade where you eventually going to do in the RAF?

Last edited:

MR_R_SOLE

Old-Salt
Unfortunately I belive you are out of luck. As I understand it, you are barred from service. I know of several in a similar position to yourself that have been hoofed out for drugs and tried to rejoin. With out exception they have all been told No. There was something a few years ago as posted up thread about you can reapply after 2 years. But I believe it was canned as the Media got wind of it and ran a story about the Army recruiting drug users.
However conversely I know of a few pepope that failed a CDT and were not discharged at least one for class A. One of whom a good 3 years before you.
I think the reapply caveat was also if your old role was in demand. But having anecdotally heard rumors that someone got hoofed from a very " Special" role for taking an un prescribed Vailum. I belive this is no longer the case. Although I am a couple of years out of the loop so the best advice is to get in contact with someone and ask they can only say no.

Kindest regards
MR_R_SOLE.

Astro42

Swinger
I sense that is a big loss to you, and I would argue, a big loss to the RAF, given your re-found motivation. Try the Army; they're not that picky!
It is, but at least I know now and can finally have some closure to that part of my life. I was looking at the army, do you really think my chances would be any better?

Astro42

Swinger
Unfortunately I belive you are out of luck. As I understand it, you are barred from service. I know of several in a similar position to yourself that have been hoofed out for drugs and tried to rejoin. With out exception they have all been told No. There was something a few years ago as posted up thread about you can reapply after 2 years. But I believe it was canned as the Media got wind of it and ran a story about the Army recruiting drug users.
However conversely I know of a few pepope that failed a CDT and were not discharged at least one for class A. One of whom a good 3 years before you.
I think the reapply caveat was also if your old role was in demand. But having anecdotally heard rumors that someone got hoofed from a very " Special" role for taking an un prescribed Vailum. I belive this is no longer the case. Although I am a couple of years out of the loop so the best advice is to get in contact with someone and ask they can only say no.

Kindest regards
MR_R_SOLE.
I understand that, ultimately they have to set standards and by the nature of the job their standards must be very high. It is disappointing still. I am thinking of trying the army, my role would be priority at the moment so who knows.

Astro42

Swinger
Sorry to hear that mate. Sometimes that’s just how life goes. I don’t wish to patronise, but I’m going to; The armed forces isn’t the be all and end all. Loads of other opportunities out there in the world. Do yourself a favour, put it behind you and concentrate on doing well in your new career.

E2A; If the Army’s rules are different than why not consider a different route if your heart really is set on the Forces? What trade where you eventually going to do in the RAF?
Yeah I understand that, it just gave me a sense of purpose that I hadn't experienced before or ever since. I am thinking of the army, my role would be information technology, I believe it would be the royal signals and from the website it is a priority role.

Perhaps it's worth a shot.

Latest Threads