Second Boer War - Research Help

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by hist2011, Feb 9, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,

I'm currently conducting some research into the Second Boer War, with specific reference to the army-run refugee camps. I'm hoping to find out who on the ground was actually responsible for the camps and which regiments were given the job/how the staff heirarchy worked etc? Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks.
  2. Where's Tropper when you need him?
  3. Have you tried the National Archive?
  4. Hi, thanks for your reply. I'm travelling down to the archives in about a months time, but as I won't have much time there I wanted to have a general idea of what to look for with regards to specific regiments etc. Most of what I have found so far is very general and focuses on the conditions rather than the running/organisation of the camps. Cheers
  5. Might be worth you contacting the Archives before hand so that they can advise you on what to look at. You'll need some ID and a utility bill for a reader's ticket
  6. Ask a German as they worked along the same lines in the 1940's .
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Yep I have done, thanks. I've got plenty to go and look at from the Government point of view and on the conditions of the camps, but just need a bit of info as to where to start to find more on the running itself, which I know was left to the army. Thanks
  8. Thanks for the link. I've read extracts of the Fawcett report via Hansard and believe there is an original copy along with a lot of Millicent Fawcett's papers in the Women's Library, which I'll be visiting when I travel to London for TNA. Looks like it will be a very interesting read.

As you've said it is a touchy subject for some. Seems to be a certain level of hysteria on both sides when trying to research things like this, I found the same during my work on Kenya.
  9. I'm wondering if the local British garrison troops guarded the Boer POW camps, particularly in India, St Helena, Bermuda, and Ceylon. Perhaps home in on a particular cantonment/station, identify which British units were stationed there and delve into their regimental archives. A difficult and laborious task whichever route you take, good luck.
  10. Although no British units are mentioned, look here >>> The Concentration Camps
    The list of reference books may be of some assistance, although they are mostly obscure or out of publication.

*** Perhaps these lists are a place to start: Regiments that fought in the second Boer War from
    Regiments that fought in the boer war? - Yahoo! UK & Ireland Answers
    (and apologies if you have already done this part of the research ***

British army units:…

For the Yeomanry:…

S.African Commonwealth units:…

Canadian units:…

Australian units:…

New Zealan units:…

Indian units:
  11. I'm so sorry, I mis-read your question. Do you mean the Concentration Camps?
  12. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

there's a doco series on it somewhere. quite good if memory serves.
  13. It's interesting how they describe them as POW camps. Or was it only in the second world war that they changed the name to concentrationcamps? Out of interest, did any of the British soldiers (and/or officers) got tried for war crimes against the Boer civilians like they did later on with their German successors?
  14. I think the British DID call the internment camps in which the Boer women and children were held Concentration Camps, though the male combatants were incarcerated in POW Camps outside of South Africa (where life wasn't half bad). IIRC several British and Empire soldiers were tried (and executed) for war crimes - the most (in)famous being 'Breaker' Morant.