SEBASTIAN SHAKESPEARE: SAS hero launches full frontal assault on the Army's diversity drive

I know it's from the Daily Heil but does this guy have a point out should he wind his neck in?

"General Sir Mike Rose was Commanding Officer of the SAS when it brought the Iranian Embassy siege to an explosive end and, two years later, when it achieved extraordinary success in the Falklands War.

But he has arguably saved his most devastating assault till now

It comes, I can disclose, in the form of a blistering letter to Lieutenant General Ivan Jones, Commander UK Field Army, who has posted a video online in which he chats with BAME and LGBT members of the Army — and a single mother — all of whom are described as his ‘reverse mentors

Rose, himself a former Commander UK Field Army, warns that Jones imperils the Army’s effectiveness by ‘unquestioningly’ focusing on ‘the modern definition of diversity’ — ‘differences in racial, ethnic, socioeconomic, sexual orientation and cultural backgrounds’.

This, he explains, is because the implication of Jones’s cosy chat is that ‘diverse make-up of the team’ is as important, if not more so, ‘than the performance and outcome of that team’.

Accusing Jones of being ‘in danger of sowing dissension and undermining cohesion’, Rose asserts that a ‘focus on outcome rather than team diversity should surely be the overriding approach of the British Army today.
He then directs Jones to the performance of Brigadier Mike Calvert, who, in Burma in World War II, ‘started to turn the tide against the invading Japanese Army.’ ‘He had no interest in worrying about whether he was a homosexual (he was) or whether he was truly “being himself”,’ reflects Rose.

‘Nor did he feel the need to engage in “open honest conversations” with his junior soldiers. He was too busy giving orders, leading from the front and killing Japanese.’

Rose also suggests if Jones is really intent on securing a better reflection of the UK in the Army today, he recruits ‘a Sikh battalion from the many Sikhs living in this country — a martial race whose forefathers fought gallantly for the British in two World Wars’.

The Ministry of Defence declined to comment."

It's one thing for anonymous usernames to discuss diversity on arrse, but this time there's an illustrious General calling it out (albeit retired).

he recruits ‘a Sikh battalion from the many Sikhs living in this country — a martial race whose forefathers fought gallantly for the British in two World Wars’.
It's an appealing idea, and from time spent many years ago in Punjab I am well aware of the martial reputation of the Sikhs - but sadly I fear that such a. unit would be unlawful (on grounds of religious discrimination) if you were required to be a Sikh to join it. So a non-starter without rewriting the law I suspect...

While the rest of it is pretty good...

Rose also suggests if Jones is really intent on securing a better reflection of the UK in the Army today, he recruits ‘a Sikh battalion from the many Sikhs living in this country — a martial race whose forefathers fought gallantly for the British in two World Wars’.

Thats a pretty ******* stupid thing to say. Unless Sikhs in the UK are secretly trained to be a martial race since birth, they are just the same as everyone else.
Any regiment based on faith will lead to others demanding their own, plus allegations of discrimination.

endure

GCM
It's an appealing idea, and from time spent many years ago in Punjab I am well aware of the martial reputation of the Sikhs - but sadly I fear that such a. unit would be unlawful (on grounds of religious discrimination) if you were required to be a Sikh to join it. So a non-starter without rewriting the law I suspect...
Apart from that half the corner shops and sub post offices would shut down...

Thats a pretty ******* stupid thing to say. Unless Sikhs in the UK are secretly trained to be a martial race since birth, they are just the same as everyone else.
Any regiment based on faith will lead to others demanding their own, plus allegations of discrimination.

You might want to tell the Sikhs that they aren't a martial race then and that they shouldn't go around with hidden weapons.

While you're at it you may as well tell the Orthodox Jews that they aren't the chosen people in the eyes of the Lord.

That's the problem with diversity.

You might want to tell the Sikhs that they aren't a martial race then and that they shouldn't go around with hidden weapons.

While you're at it you may as well tell the Orthodox Jews that they aren't the chosen people in the eyes of the Lord.

That's the problem with diversity.

Why what do you think they would do? Chop me up with their knives? They are just people. They arent special.

If a Jew asks Ill tell him it made up horseshit.

Well, that's Rose cancelled for the foreseeable future.

He's absolutely spot on, stating the obvious with common sense - which means he's Satan.

Why what do you think they would do? Chop me up with their knives? They are just people. They arent special.

If a Jew asks Ill tell him it made up horseshit.

That's racist.

You will need to resit your online cultural diversity course and click all the right buttons until you think properly.

Oyibo

LE

They are a martial race and religion - I first learnt that while working with the Indian Army when a Sikh corporal described his religion to me - words to the effect of "It's like Hinduism but designed for war".

Who would you rather have fighting alongside you - a limp as lettuce QWERTY social justice warrior, or a Sikh whose whole ethos is based largely on kicking the f*ck out of the enemy?

They are a martial race and religion - I first learnt that while working with the Indian Army when a Sikh corporal described his religion to me - words to the effect of "It's like Hinduism but designed for war".

Who would you rather have fighting alongside you - a limp as lettuce QWERTY social justice warrior, or a Sikh whose whole ethos is based largely on kicking the f*ck out of the enemy?

No they arent, do you think fat old singhie who is a 5th generation immigrant and works in his parents newspaper shop is a steely eyed killer?

Do anyone persist in the myth that anyone from Scandinavia is a Viking? Or those from the highlands are from warrior clans?

Plenty of Sikhs are *********, just like the rest of the population.

Funnily enough, they might want people to think they something special.

HCL

LE

Ever hear of a mob called the Gurkhas? Doesn't seem to be any problems in restricting recruitment to Nepalese, does there?

What are you on about?

Have you ever met any Sikhs? Or are you basing all your opinions on Flashman Novels?

Ever hear of a mob called the Gurkhas? Doesn't seem to be any problems in restricting recruitment to Nepalese, does there?

The Ghurkhas are an historical anomaly, they also arent recruited based on faith.

And a large number of Sikh's who were captured in Malaya and Singapore in WW2, probably the majority went over to the Japanese joining the Indian National Army. Some in the early stages of the campaign. It was the same in Hong Kong. They had a large number of Sikh's in the police force there who nearly all went over to the Japanese and were detested by the local Chinese being notorious for their cruelty. No Sikh's were re-employed in the police after the war.

Not the same, for starters Ghrkas are all recruited from Nepal - the defining feature is nationality not race / religion.

Ghurkas and Sikhs were recruited as regiments as were others as part of the (British) Indian Army , ditto African regiments.

These were recruited on racial / cultural / religious lines by dint of Geography notably though none were origionally recruited as British Army Regiments*

The British Army (as in the UK raised force) itself , asides from the unenforced bab on Irish Catholics back when Boney was being an arse, didnt recruit on ethnic / religious lines.

* Save the West India Regiment although it was raised much later and the fact it was entirely black may have more to do with demographics

AFAIK they're not exempt from race relations laws. They've used them to be able to settle in the UK after service.
That had nothing to do with race relations laws but the campaign by Saint Jo of Lumley. Pror to that their recruitment was governed by the Tripartite agreement between India, the UK and Nepal in 1947 when they were split between the Indian Army and the British Army. Nepal had specifically asked that all Gurkhas be returned to Nepal after their service as it wanted their skills and the money from their pensions.

Ensuring equal access to opportunities and then selecting those that meet the standard should be the aim. What else matters?

As an example the BBC some time ago started blind testing of musicians for their in house classical players. Who could argue with that? Selection could only be made on merit, there was no awareness of any other trait of any applicant to influence a decision. However it turned out there were very few black people who even applied to audition with the inevitable (and natural) consequence that it was mostly white males who got the job. So the call has gone out to now ban blind tests so that more black people can be selected with merit taking a back burner place.

Who does this help then? Black people? No, they will have to overcome the hurdle of being considered someone who got a free pass. The orchestra? No, if you have not picked the best then the overall performance will suffer.

I recall from many years ago when quotas for LatAms were intoduced into NYPD who were given lower pass marks than their Caucasian coutnerparts and so a rush of to register as such. One LatAm Sgt. refused the lower passmark saying that if he didn't get the Caucasian passmark he didn't want promotion as he absolutly hated the idea of being known as a quota Lt.

So what next? "Your heart transplant surgeon? Well he doesn't really know what he is doing but he is BAME so we thought we would give him a chance over the other (white) guy who is a proven expert. Do you want to your goodbyes now, just in case?.

The sooner we get to merit only the better.