Seasonal SOP - Vitamin D

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by gobbyidiot, Oct 30, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well I saw John Stape telling Rosie Webster she had to take some vitamin D tablets as she had not been outside in the sun. How did Fritzls kids get on ?

2. I'm pretty sceptical, but VItamin D in northern climes looks like a good idea

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/scotland/article4761661.ece

I think it is pretty unlikely that animals that evolved outdoors in Africa are going to cope well being indoors in Northern Europe. The reason that we can synthesise Vitamin D from sunlight is obviously because anyone that couldn't died. The reason why Europeans have white skin is because dark-skinned people were so f****d by Vitamin D deficiency they had few kids - white skin is a Vitamin D adaption.

Most "health scare" stories are bollocks, but there is a lot of decent science behind this one.

3. From the BMJ:
    http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/336/7657/1318

So what are the beneficial effects of vitamin D? People who live at higher latitudes, have vitamin D deficiency, or lack exposure to the sun have an increased risk of many cancers. Increasing the intake of vitamin D to 1000 IU a day reduces the risk of colorectal cancer and many other deadly cancers by 30-50%. Vitamin D deficiency is also linked to cardiovascular disease. After adjusting for standard cardiovascular risk factors, one study found that the risk for the first cardiovascular event was 62% higher in people with vitamin D deficiency. Vitamin D deficiency has also been associated with autoimmune diseases, infectious diseases, and schizophrenia.

Vitamin D has so many health benefits because all tissues have vitamin D receptors. Vitamin D controls (directly or indirectly) more than 200 genes that regulate calcium and bone metabolism, modulate innate immunity, control cell growth and maturation, regulate the production of insulin and renin, induce apoptosis and inhibit angiogenesis.