Searching of rooms in the block.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
If I had presented a bedspace like that in IJLB it would have been slung out the window or at least tipped on the floor - Show parade at 1800 and 2200
Yeah, but then they'd move on to destroy inspect the next bedspace without having found the stash. Result.

Chalkster69

Old-Salt
In my day we just used to put anything dodgy in the boot of the car until after the inspection & Bob's your uncle.

Although, I'm hard pressed to think of much that I couldn't keep in my room in Germany (apart from the buckshee ammo of course)..... :D

Leave your room in a way that the first thing they see is this...

Include a set of DPM onesies and they'll just slowly close the door and leave you alone... f'king weirdo....
That bed block is shite

Under the Service Police Codes of Practice (which are derived from PACE) the RMP have to have 'reasonable grounds' in order to search, and even then it has to be targeted not a blanket one - also, due process has to be followed in obtaining authorisation to do so. It sounds very much like the OP's head shed are going somewhat 'off piste' here in order to make a point and I doubt very much if there is actually any RMP involvement. Happy to be corrected of course.

It hasn't changed that much surely! Is there a choice these days that you can choose what lawful orders you want to obey?
It is changed enough, in the main, to stop bullies and utter knobheads from being able to treat people like utter sh*t for thier own personal gratification.

Sadly is hasn't changed enough to stop bullies and utter knobheads from thinking the are able to treat people like utter sh*t for thier own personal gratification.

Under the Service Police Codes of Practice (which are derived from PACE) the RMP have to have 'reasonable grounds' in order to search, and even then it has to be targeted not a blanket one - also, due process has to be followed in obtaining authorisation to do so. It sounds very much like the OP's head shed are going somewhat 'off piste' here in order to make a point and I doubt very much if there is actually any RMP involvement. Happy to be corrected of course.
That's what I said ^~

Negative ghost rider

The issue is the same as if somebody came into your house and went through all your things, I've got 12 years of accumulated shit that I've got to watch these guys sift through, it's a massive pain in the arse.
No joke for the individual have to sift through 12 years of accumulated shit, either. Believe me there are some right mingers out there!

BopBopBop

Old-Salt
The issue is the same as if somebody came into your house and went through all your things, I've got 12 years of accumulated shit that I've got to watch these guys sift through, it's a massive pain in the arse.
[/QUOTE]

How big is your locker?

I'm sure what will actually happen is a routine QMs furniture and room inspection. Ths monkeys will just be carry his/her bags.
If the QM wishes to carry out an inspection of the facilities in camp that is entirely within his SOPs; no need for any RMP involvement. However, if during the course of his walkaround he should happen to come across something illegal then that is a different matter entirely.

I think the OP is more concerned about the fallout from his CoC, who will be accompanying the RMP on their field trip and see what a minger he is.
I doubt very much that this incentive is being driven by the RMP. It is more likely to be at the request of the CO/CoC as I cannot see any rational decision to 'search' a whole barracks following a single incident, especially as you are being given the chance of an amnesty (i.e. a chance to hide said item off camp).

Last edited:
Possession of a sword is not an offence. I have an 1830 Cavalry sabre on the wall of my shed. If I were to have it in a public place without lawful authority or reasonable excuse then yes, I'd be committing an offence but just having the thing in your room/locker is not breaking the law, so I'm not what grounds for search there are. There may be clauses in the AFA or QRs which allow these things but even so anything found would need to be tested in court.
I'm guessing that it may well be covered in unit SOs as well, which have legal effect under Military Law.

What happened to Friday morning OC or CO's inspection, followed by a morning of outside areas, then CO's run, then happy hour(s) in the Sqn bar?
Sooooooo last Millenium you fcuking dinosaur!!!!!!!:D

Oh my, I thought yea olde barrack room lawyers were a thing of the dim and distant past. Reading many of the posts in here they're clearly not :)
Do agree that that bed pack was really crap and deserving of chucking out the window.

Basically, a bloke was waving a samurai sword about recently. It's already been sorted by the police, they have him now. But now we've been told the entire camp is going to get searched by RMP's for long bladed weapons, room to room. They're having an amnesty to turn in any machete's, long knives, flashy ebay swords ect you might have, that you could then pick up on your next bit of leave and take elsewhere. That's all fine, what I want to know is can they legally go door to door and search your room without a warrant of any kind? Seems like a massive breach of privacy to me. Do they really have the right to do this? If not, which piece of legislation says so?

Bone questions aside, I'd like to thank you for one of the best opening lines to a thread that I've read for a long time.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Good job nobody stumbled into my room the day before I travelled home to be wed. Having acquired two cavalry sabres (courtesy of the RSM, who I imagine was a friend of QM Queen's Own Hussars up the road, because it seemed 15/19H couldn't source two identical cavalry sabres for me and the best man), naturally I and a roomy felt the need to go all Rudolf Rassendyll and check out their battle worthiness.

Luckily, aside from a brief withdrawal from scabbard to cut the cake, nobody got a chance to view the nicks we put in those blades.

Presumably QM QOH was so glad he's got his precious sabres back (he insisted best man bring them straight back rather than I bring them back after the honeymoon) that he didn't bother to check them.

Oh my, I thought yea olde barrack room lawyers were a thing of the dim and distant past. Reading many of the posts in here they're clearly not :)
Do agree that that bed pack was really crap and deserving of chucking out the window.
Armed Forces Act 06 Chapter 3 Sections 83-93. JSP 830, Vol1 Annex K and AGAI 53, Para 53.034

Nothing about being a barrack room lawyer. It's about obeying the law, legislation, policy and regulation ^~

Negative ghost rider

Try this ….

My old man had a room inspection during the war .
Not only did some German bastard nick his coffee , they ruined the heating for the block , found a tunnel and they all got jailed for 21 days .
True dit , there's even a film about it .

Latest Threads