Searching for military history

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by iPadPlodding, Apr 7, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. fellas,

Mate of mine is wanting to research his granddadd's military history. He's got basic information like service number and rank. Anyone have any idea where to start looking for information.

2. Try searching National Archive, on google!!!!

3. Give us a clue - WW1? WW2? Service?
  4. If you know what his unit was and the dates he served with that unit wikipedia can come in handy. I found out about the ops my Grate uncle was involved in around the time of his death that way. I also got a copy of his medical card from the national archives.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9380 using Tapatalk
  5. Bit more info, he joined the North Staffs 20th Oct 1933 in Wolverhampton.

He was in Palastine 36 - 38 and then part of the BEF 39 - 40 somewhere in France he was then released in 46 having been commissioned.

Any help is appreciated cheers
  6. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

pro: wo/ 95 and other refs , will if you're lucky have his attestation forms and records . View their site first before you troll down there . then the regimental/ corps museums. good hunting.
  7. If he was commissioned search the London Gazette on-line...
  8. Since he served post-1922 his records won't be in The National Archives (PRO as was).

The Staffs museum, on the one occasion I contacted them, were very helpful. So why not try them firdt and then go down this route -

service records sar form requests
  9. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

blimey charm things change quickley so where have they put all the pre 1922 files now ? cheers .
  10. Fr*te***l Easter greetings Bro Bern,

I hope I find you well.

I think you might need to edit this last post a tad.

11. The medal roll for Palestine is online at Ancestry: if you want, PM me his details and I'll have a look for you.