Searching for karaoke singing soldiers!

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by amanda_qtine, Jun 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,

I was wondering if you can help me with my search for serving British soldiers who like singing karaoke?

I work for a theatre and film company called QUARANTINE and we're creating a new artwork exploring the world of currently serving UK soldiers through the music they listen to called 'The Soldiers Song' - a karaoke booth where the visitor finds a video screen, a microphone and an invitation to sing along, with a soldier singing on video. The project has already recruited a few enthusiastic singing soldiers but we want to enlist a few more. So, if you're a singing soldier, I'd love to hear from you. You can contact me via email: office@qtine.com or call me on 0161 830 7318, or make contact via this forum. Or, if you know of any UK venues where soldiers go to sing karaoke, I'd be grateful for the tip.

The specially designed karaoke booth will tour to theatres, galleries and public spaces. Quarantine have made work in places from Vancouver to Belgium as well as their home in Manchester.

This project is being undertaken with the knowledge and co-operation of the British Armed Forces and in funded by Arts Council, England.

If you would like more info then please take a look at:
    The Soldiers Song
    QUARANTINE WEBSITE

Thanks in advance for help you can provide.

Best,
    Amanda

2. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

You'll be lucky to find one that will do it with their clothes on.

3. Or sober.

4. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Would they get to do a duet with Susan Boyle :?

5. I think most people need a bit of Dutch courage to get up on the mic, but I've never come across naked karaoke before...

By the way, we're prepared to travel across country to film any karaoke action!

6. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Have you not been to Finland :wink:

7. I don't think we can afford SuBo now! Did I read somewhere that she's able to command £8k per minute??!

8. I have been to Finland, actually - twice!

9. Bootiful is a lovely singer, she won't charge that much as well if someone wants to do a duet with her. I get it for free, but I'm sure she'll do "Mate's Rates" if you find her some naked men to sing with. :wink:

10. Amanda,

Thanks for the invite, I actually love to sing "American Pie" and even do it reasonably sober.

I would be more than happy to send you a video with all my details (name, regt, family details etc.) just as soon as Qtine have sorted out the Al Qaeda, CIRA and RIRA threats to my security and that of my family.

Until then, I`m afraid I will have to pass up on the opportunity for my 15 mins, whilst I get on with the task in hand.

Regards,

TF

11. TF,
    I would love to see you doing American Pie! Appreciate that you have concerns regarding security. Just wanted to reassure you that this is a serious project, and of course we don't want to jeopardise anyones safety. We wouldn't need any family details. You might be interested in seeing our blog where we have an example of the type of video we're looking to film: www.thesolderssong.blogspot.com

This piece of work is a serious consideration of British soldiers and the work they (you) do.
    The Soldier's Song explores the world of currently serving British soldiers through the music they listen to.
    “Two wars go on – and I still buy shoes, decide what I want for tea, chat about the weather…
    I don’t know what I think any more. The Soldier’s Song started as an attempt to help me answer my own questions – What are these wars we are engaged in? Who fights them? What is my place in all this?
    We don’t find out about people fighting in our name until they die, or break the rules, or publish a bestseller based on their experiences. A world apart - with its own rules, codes and culture.”
    Renny O’Shea - director
    The Soldier’s Song is a karaoke booth.

A microphone. A screen. An invitation to act. The visitor chooses the song. The soldier on the screen sings their favourite karaoke tune. A chance to share a moment with an individual, a chance to think about that person and our connection with them, a chance to sing along if we choose.

Best,
    Amanda

12. An idle question, but what people listen to and what they sing, especially in Karaoke, are frequently disparate. Is this really the best way of accomplishing something that might have laudable foundations but is in fact so far removed from the object it's bordering on random?

13. I do a lovely rendition of Delilah, naked, when drunk, with the rugby club.

14. Try the Seven Stars in Canterbury . Last time I even looked at the place it was rammed with Squaddies giving it large to Hi-Ho Silver lining. Actually, I don't think they particularly cared what was on, judging by the amount of 2 hands full of beer dancing that was going on...

15. That's an interesting question - does the fact that an activity is is a diverse one - undertaken by individuals the world over - make it a random one? We're not sure if this is the best way of revealing something about soldiers to us civvies, but it is one way, and they way we've chosen to explore...

I personally find it really interesting that one of our soldier participants chose to sing the Irish Rover, and in an Irish accent. I wasn't expecting that. And I know that's probably to do with my ignorance and stereotyping - which is why this piece of work works, I think!

Thanks for your thoughts...