Searching for a sailor

A very particular sailor, he was my uncle.

A recent film started off an email exchange with my cousins, and they are now more curious than ever about their father's service. I don't have their permission yet to share details, but before they let rip at the gov.uk forms they have got the medals out after I told them the service number should be on them. The format is a revelation

L Sig {name} XX X NNNNN - XXX NNNNN where X is a letter and you'll never guess what N is. Spaces are as appearing, the groupings are not repeats. 2nd NNN might be a county? or a coincidence.

I know one is an Arctic Star, and a possibility he served with a Norwegian crew. Served at/under CIC The Nore is one memory they have.

Just an ordinary reserve? Tar, but can anyone give a few words of advice so I can get them off to a good start?

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
What era? WW2?

If he was WW1 then some of the records may not be available due to a fire at the Hayes Admiralty Records Archive in the 1940's .

Any photos in rig might help if capband/tally is visible.

The Nore is mouth of Thames- shore base may have been Chatham at that time.

Crikey, mate, your thread title is just asking for it.

Crikey, mate, your thread title is just asking for it.
mqdefault.jpg

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer

QRK2

LE
A very particular sailor, he was my uncle.

A recent film started off an email exchange with my cousins, and they are now more curious than ever about their father's service. I don't have their permission yet to share details, but before they let rip at the gov.uk forms they have got the medals out after I told them the service number should be on them. The format is a revelation

L Sig {name} XX X NNNNN - XXX NNNNN where X is a letter and you'll never guess what N is. Spaces are as appearing, the groupings are not repeats. 2nd NNN might be a county? or a coincidence.

I know one is an Arctic Star, and a possibility he served with a Norwegian crew. Served at/under CIC The Nore is one memory they have.

Just an ordinary reserve? Tar, but can anyone give a few words of advice so I can get them off to a good start?

wrt his number this may help:

The old boy had at least one named medal?

Is it a NGSM? Or a RN LSGC? There were also 6 different Reserve LSGCs, too. Also, his Service number will show whether he was a Regular or Reserve.

As the cousins are direct descendants, they can apply direct for his service documents:

The letter groups are CH B and SSX, but numbers are 5 digit rather than suggested 6.

Waiting now for them to go with what they've got.

Was casevacced at some point from trawler, possibly to Apollo, date not known.

Latest Threads