Search Lights?

Discussion in 'RAC' started by BenghaziBandit, Jan 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Did anyone experience the use of searchlights on tanks ?
    NOT the CDL or -Infrared', just ordinary search light, or even on foriegn tanks?
    Pics if possible.
  2. Hi Brian,
    Chieftain used to have a whopper on the left side of the turret with a range of about 1,200 metres(?),it had a IR filter for night vision and an armoured plate in front for protection,all controlled by a switch inside the turret.
    Must be lots of piccies on the internet of them,
  3. The chiefy serchlight, the tank on the right is useing his white light

Attached Files:

4. Yes the cry was " go white, go hard " screw being the one with the light on when 3rd shock army was pouring through the gap, it was an absolute piece of crap anyway, as the gunner behind the light all you got was backscatter screwing up the graticule. in the mean time the rest of your troop would probably have legged it ,because some twat had illummed the
    the whole area !!!!!

Attached Files:

5. It is/was a Light Projector not a searchlight.
  6. You illuminated your own target? How wery stwange...
  7. I watched a couple of Bundeswehr Leopard 1 night shoots a few years ago. The Coy Comd issued delayed FCOs which guided the gunners roughly onto their targets after which point the radio command "Wiess...LICHT!" was given. All tanks activated their lights simultaneously, fired and then extinguished in about two seconds.
    The other method was having a Panzergrenadier on the reverse slope of the firing point launch illum rounds from the Charlie-G.
  8. Quite convinient at times.
    Once, we had a wagon fall of a flatbed in Wolfenbüttel and used it then to illuminate the recovery scene.

And once on a smoker. :soldier:
  9. They were also shite hot for re-warming NAAFI steak pies
  10. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

We tended to get our illum from mortars off the back of a 432. We were firing 76: would mortars have the range the light up downrange for a 120mm shoot?
  11. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:
  12. I remember a subby in 17/21L who came to the tank park in NBC Kit to watch an ECE remove the chuffing great bulb, and then sign the phony disposal certificate.
  13. :oops:
    My bad, you have dazzled me with your brilliance, i accept a d grade for my t.p. :( :(
  14. We certainly used 'white light' a couple times on ranges in the later 70s.....I believe it was called the 'ripple' effect. A troop would 'ripple' their searchlights (fcuk off light projector!!!) one at a time for approx 5-8 secs each at pre-designated arcs..........another troop would engage anything 'enemy or generally target like' which loomed out of the darkness. Quite effective but, realtime very dangerous and even in the later seventies archaic!!! As we hit the 80s....twaz no more.........unless someone (Normally an attached arm) got lost en route to a BATUS leaguer and it became pretty desperate to get them into the site rather than miss out on a smoker!!!!!