Search function

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by PartTimePongo, Mar 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It's been improved and broken :(
  2. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

What's up with it?

It hasn't been improved, but it slows the site down a lot at a time when we're pushing the limits, so we've tried to stop bots triggering it, tried to encourage people to use Google's servers and not us, and also it should stop malicious use.

Anyway, what doesn't work?
  3. Bots are a complete bind, just look at Yahoo
  4. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

I'm still not convinced that bots can slow our site by filling out search forms, but heh, it might help.
  5. Ahhhhhhhhhh

I wondered why there was a new code thingy. Getting to grips with it now, it's not broken :)
  6. Can't you get an embedded google search engine?
  7. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

No idea - I haven't seen any mention of such a thing, just the site search that I've used. There are loads of google experiments and widgets around though so I may have missed it. Do you have a link?
  8. I might have finger trouble here, but the enter code box won't let me enter the code?
  9. same here

10. you seem to have found one! Brilliant - just what was required. It doesn't seem to direct you back into the normal site but I suspect that's a detail you'll soon sort out.
    Good stuff.
  11. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Yup, same here. School boy error of getting stuff working in Firefox and forgetting to check it in IE. I'll get it sorted. Thanks for the spot. Does stop people using it though!
  12. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Sorted. Thanks.
  13. ERR No it isnt, I keep getting an error message

Sorry, but your search was not completed because of an error, perhaps with the security code. Please try again.
  14. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

This SHOULD only happen if

1) You type in the wrong code :)

2) You leave the page for longer than a minute with the same code before submitting

3) You don't enter anything in the search box.

I've just tested it again and it's going fine. I can't see any reason why the function (not the appearance) should be browser dependent either, but just to check I did a search in IE and FF.

Can you try it a few times and tell me if there's anything consistent about the problem or whether you always get problems? Any more detail you can give would be good to - what exactly you were searching for and so on.
  15. Won't work for me - entered the code (tried case sensitive and not case sensitive) and completed the search in good time. The error message comes back each time. Back to work then, I suppose.