Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Search for an Un-Ally Star.

I think (but can't find it now) that this retired gentleman in the Border Guards cap appeared somewhere up-thread.

1656276213942.png

But I am now delighted to find that a spoof story in the Daily Star yesterday introducing him as "General Pavel", he of the two sets of body armour and five meals a day washed down with a bottle of vodka, recalled from retirement to address Russia's sudden inexplicable shortage of generals, has now not only gone viral but is being widely reported as fact. Take a look -

Meanwhile the real General Pavel, who is a charming but slightly serious gentleman, is suddenly getting a lot of ribaldry on Twitter.

1656276490104.png

I´m lost for words! This thread needs a ´Surprised´, or ´Gobsmacked´ button.

Who are they? They look a bit too well-equipped to be reenactors. Are they US law enforcement officers?
Tubby Two-Guns on the left has eaten way too many donuts!

Well I found a few snaps, not as many as I Thought I had, but here are some examples.
Note the pics don't really do justice, there is nothing like hearing the clanking of armour and the jingle of harness to ass a little authenticity. Also lots of these chaps were accompanied by their wives and children, all dressed in period costume. In their campsites there were lots of wood fires with food cooking, and it was the food that would have been available at the time - no potatoes etc. Lots of herbs to flavour it. So putting these chaps in the un ally bit is a bit unfair, cos they put lots of effort in and (I think Bernard Cornwell admits) their re enactments are discovering the ways things would have been done, rather than academics sitting in tutorial rooms holding with received wisdom.

Romans
ROMANS.JPG