Search for an Un-Ally Star.

skeetstar

War Hero
ladies.JPG

Mark_Addy

Old-Salt
Blimey, there's a lot of people into doing that kind of thing, aren't there!

I found the ancient stuff more intersting, for an odd personal reason. One of my hobbies is small-time foundry work, and I bought a lot of casting gear off a bloke who apparently walted as an... ancient Greek. Amongst the woodern patterns in the stuff I bought, were those for a short sword, and also the ground-planting end of a long pike (I am sure I have the terminology wrong) which looks rather penile. Or so (disturbingly, to me) my young-at-the-time daughters thought, given their giggling.

(Also - those Romans' feet look wildly unprotected from someone dropping a shield on them - let alone actually fighting in sandals).

Last edited:

ugly

LE
The barmaid at my local and her husband run a medieval mob, I donated loads of deer hides and her bubbies turned up one year in full armour at the pub for St George’s day

I CONFESS:
When I had the Hotchkiss M201 Jeep I joined the Military Vehicle Trust
I was persuaded to attend the National show at Berkeley Castle because the Jeep was in French colours and unusual.
I made a few friends
I drove in the arena display
My new friend took me to one side and told me I was "too bright" as I was wearing a yellow polo shirt and jeans and I should be in.....green
I bought some army surplus green to wear the next day
While doing so I noticed the vast array of stuff including a French shirt....
Soon, I wasn't just wearing green, I was wearing........French green and looking for appropriate items to dress the Jeep. An aerial, a radio, French webbing......
At a later national show at Kemble there were a couple more Hotchkiss M201's and a SUMB lorry in French colours. We decided we would go in the arena together in a "patrol"
We formed a separate little "French Patrol Club"

One morning I woke up, cold, sweating and realised what I had done. Wifey wouldn't go to shows, she wet herself the morning I drove off and the huge aerial tied over the front went 'boing' as the ties came undone and the areial whipped back and then forward javelining down the high street.

Some good mates who were very serious about authenticity and doing it right but going to shows and seeing 40 year old 17 stone 1st Airborne GIs or 5ft tall, 6 stone SS Grenadiers was too much. I sold the Jeep. I can now hold my head high again, I am cleansed.

If you are on Faceache the group has expanded rapidly from three Jeeps and a SUMB and now has access to a Panhard armoured car and an MX13 tank (as seen at Tankfest) and does proper re-enactments.

1 (2).jpg

Mine at Kemble

1 (8).JPG

Betty (sadly passed away) who spoke fluent French and was at Bletchley. (We had the odd gentle run around the village)

Last edited:

ugly

LE
I CONFESS:
I was persuaded to attend the National show at Berkeley Castle because the Jeep was in French colours and unusual.
I made a few friends
My new friend took me to one side and told me I was "too bright" as I was wearing a yellow polo shirt and jeans and I should be in.....green
Soon, I wasn't just wearing green, I was wearing........French green and looking for appropriate items to dress the Jeep. An aerial, a radio, French webbing......
At a later national show at Kemble there were a couple more Hotchkiss M201's and a SUMB lorry in French colours. We decided we would go in the arena together in a "patrol"

One morning I woke up, cold, sweating and realised what I had done. Wifey wouldn't go to shows, she wet herself the morning I drove off and the huge aerial tied over the front went 'boing' as the ties came undone and the areial whipped back and then forward javelining down the high street.

Some good mates who were very serious about authenticity and doing it right but going to shows and seeing 40 year old 17 stone 1st Airborne GIs or 5ft tall, 6 stone SS Grenadiers was too much. I sold the Jeep. I can now hold my head high again, I am cleansed.

If you are on Faceache the group has expanded rapidly from three Jeeps and a SUMb and now has access to a Panhard armoured car and an MX13 tank (as seen at Tankfest) and does proper re-enactments.

View attachment 673310
Mine at Kemble

View attachment 673311
Betty (sadly passed away) who spoke fluent French and was at Bletchley. (We had the odd gentle run around the village)
Somebody turned up at the Hellingly vehicle show in a Hotchkiss jeep complete with AA52 and MAT49 so I offered to make him a belt of inert 7.5 link for him but he didn’t seem keen!
At the time I had loads of fired French berdan primed brass that would have been ideal!

Somebody turned up at the Hellingly vehicle show in a Hotchkiss jeep complete with AA52 and MAT49 so I offered to make him a belt of inert 7.5 link for him but he didn’t seem keen!
At the time I had loads of fired French berdan primed brass that would have been ideal!
What a miserable so and so! The AA52 was very hard to get hold of. When I bought the jeep it had the mountings on the passenger side but wasn't going to pay silly money for the weapon.

Blimey, there's a lot of people into doing that kind of thing, aren't there!

I found the ancient stuff more intersting, for an odd personal reason. One of my hobbies is small-time foundry work, and I bought a lot of casting gear off a bloke who apparently walted as an... ancient Greek. Amongst the woodern patterns in the stuff I bought, were those for a short sword, and also the ground-planting end of a long pike (I am sure I have the terminology wrong) which looks rather penile. Or so (disturbingly, to me) my young-at-the-time daughters thought, given their giggling.

(Also - those Romans' feet look wildly unprotected from someone dropping a shield on them - let alone actually fighting in sandals).
Don't let the show health n safety know. The risk assessments for shield carrying whilst wearing sandals would be a nightmare but may mean they overlook the edged weapons being carried.

Moglington

Old-Salt
Well I found a few snaps, not as many as I Thought I had, but here are some examples.
Note the pics don't really do justice, there is nothing like hearing the clanking of armour and the jingle of harness to ass a little authenticity. Also lots of these chaps were accompanied by their wives and children, all dressed in period costume. In their campsites there were lots of wood fires with food cooking, and it was the food that would have been available at the time - no potatoes etc. Lots of herbs to flavour it. So putting these chaps in the un ally bit is a bit unfair, cos they put lots of effort in and (I think Bernard Cornwell admits) their re enactments are discovering the ways things would have been done, rather than academics sitting in tutorial rooms holding with received wisdom.

Romans View attachment 673274

Yeah but what have they ever done for us?
1656352809506.png

RangdoOfArg

LE
Book Reviewer
I CONFESS:
I made a few friends

If you are on Faceache the group has expanded rapidly from three Jeeps and a SUMB and now has access to a Panhard armoured car and an MX13 tank (as seen at Tankfest) and does proper re-enactments.

View attachment 673310
Mine at Kemble

View attachment 673311
Pastis for brekkie isn‘t for everyone, so you may be best out of it.
Chapeau to Betty, looks like she was having fun.

the previous was crusaders era Norman cavalry, again brilliant attention to detail when you can get up close.
The horses are mostly in modern tack, including a Dr Cook bitless bridle on the grey and safety stirrups on the bay. They're missing breast girths although the grey has got a Norman saddle so fair play.

Plus the horses are all over-sized for early medieval cavalry. In reality they'd be about 14.2hh (so large pony size), which is why on the Bayeux Tapestry the cavalrymen's legs are dangling below their steeds' rib cages.

Good effort though and the general public having a day out probably wouldn't notice.