Search for an Un-Ally Star.

Stan_Deesey

War Hero
RAFReg_Re-enactor.jpg

WTF is he supposed to be ?
He is the 1 star's (up thread) Dad.

FFS is there nothing you lot won't take the mick out of!!

By the way, his nickname was Johnny 2 Combat Jackets (look closely). Useful for stowing additional Greggs pasties, loaves of bread, Norgi containers etc.

Last edited:

Stan_Deesey

War Hero

By the way, his nickname was Johnny 2 Combat Jackets (look closely). Useful for stowing additional Greggs pasties, loaves of bread, Norgi containers etc.
Hey leave it out! Elderly people feel the cold.

People on here have been asking why reenactors always choose to dress up as members of elite units. Now we know that´s not the case.

skeetstar

War Hero
Anyone ever been to living history at Kelmarsh? Re enactor heaven.
Went a couple of years on the trot.

Impressive; Romans, Anglo Saxon huscarls, ww1 british infantry drill demos. French napoleonic infantry company, absolutely brilliant.. little details like pipes made them just a bit more authentic looking than our boys. Sdkfz something built on a 110 chassis. Hurricane fly past. Varangian guardsmen. Some heavily armoured mounted men from the 1400s.

Thanks for coming fellas.. Russian ww2 infantry encampment, all the right gear, just never got the look right. Two chaps wandering around.. I had to ask, and when I did I found out they were Austro Hungarian infantry from 1916.

Why, just why?.. fallschirmjager. Obviously gone to great lengths, even had FG42 etc, but the whole effect was ruined by all the pairs of coke bottle bottom lensed spectacles and beer guts that were only just small enough to squeeze into jump overalls.
The ordinary German soldiers looked ordinary.. as above its usually the least likely types who want to masquerade as the elites.

If anyone interested I'll try and dig out a few snaps.

ugly

LE

Impressive; Romans, Anglo Saxon huscarls, ww1 british infantry drill demos. French napoleonic infantry company, absolutely brilliant.. little details like pipes made them just a bit more authentic looking than our boys. Sdkfz something built on a 110 chassis. Hurricane fly past. Varangian guardsmen. Some heavily armoured mounted men from the 1400s.

Thanks for coming fellas.. Russian ww2 infantry encampment, all the right gear, just never got the look right. Two chaps wandering around.. I had to ask, and when I did I found out they were Austro Hungarian infantry from 1916.

Why, just why?.. fallschirmjager. Obviously gone to great lengths, even had FG42 etc, but the whole effect was ruined by all the pairs of coke bottle bottom lensed spectacles and beer guts that were only just small enough to squeeze into jump overalls.
The ordinary German soldiers looked ordinary.. as above its usually the least likely types who want to masquerade as the elites.

Yes please

QRK2

LE

I'm at a History Festival whose director has recently been banging on about 'reenactors' in their fifties dressing up as Second War 'elites' so I was a little optimistic about what I might find. There are a good mix from Iron Age up to RN Beach Commandos here but the old fat bloke in a Denison syndrome is only slightly reduced.

Despite his sentiments and it may be because I actually know what to look forn but as ever the Second War crowd are the poorest, '37 pattern webbing poorly assembled and not so much being worn as hung in the general vicinity of the portly wearer. FFS all they need to do is take a look at 'The Way Ahead' to get an idea and if they want to be more age appropriate they could get Home Guard kit.

Away from the stands he Napoleonics etc dress down to the sort of thing they might have worn in those days out on the piss, but our brave boys in BD seem to think that it was the done thing to go down the pub for the evening in full fighting order with weapons.

Not all bad though some half decent gunners with 25pdrs and couple who do actually know something about SOE and no SS or FJ fanbois.

ugly

LE
I’ve always fancied one of those one piece overalls that SOE gave it’s agents for parachuting in! The colour is very much identical to the Dennison smocks and with full length leg zips. I saw one in Paris at Hotel des Invalides and thought it would be nice for deer stalking or sitting in a high seat!

My recollection is nicer than the available images

2EAD92EA-7F9E-458E-9069-5DDB0DEA77E9.jpeg

I’ve always fancied one of those one piece overalls that SOE gave it’s agents for parachuting in! The colour is very much identical to the Dennison smocks and with full length leg zips. I saw one in Paris at Hotel des Invalides and thought it would be nice for deer stalking or sitting in a high seat!

My recollection is nicer than the available images

View attachment 672969
Dogs bolocks that is , like the pistol holder on the left thigh. Wonder if you could buy one ?

Reading the IMW site, what a decent piece of kit.

Garment of overalls style made of heavy-duty windproof camouflage pattern fabric, fitted with parallel zips that run the entire length of the front, from ankles to either side of the neck, fitted with leather tabs. The camouflage pattern is of irregular style and comprises large splotches of mid-green on tan of similar design to that used on airborne forces' Denison smocks. A large pouch is fitted to the rear of the suit, access is internal. A series of other pockets, both internal and external are present, including a pistol pocket at the left thigh, a knife pocket to the left cuff (both external); inside is a shovel pocket (directly behind the pistol pocket), felt lined; three small pockets to the right thigh (for documents/maps); two internal breast pockets with slash openings. At the back of the collarless neck is attached a short leather strap fitted with a metal buckle, enabling the protective jump helmet to be attached.

TamH70

MIA

Could that not be a CS95 shirt/jacket worn under his '85 Pattern field jacket? I'm sure I did summat similar on ex a few times.

ugly

LE
Could that not be a CS95 shirt/jacket worn under his '85 Pattern field jacket? I'm sure I did summat similar on ex a few times.
Sadly no it’s worse, it’s a dpm para smock!

TamH70

MIA
Sadly no it’s worse, it’s a dpm para smock!

I think I can beat that. Green Bundeswehr "Gore-Tex" jacket under a Smock, Combat, Temperate ('94 edition, with front vertical zipped pockets), over a green t-shirt and GS shirt.

Latest Threads