Search for an Un-Ally Star.

I think when it comes down to it, we don't mind being portrayed as bad bastas, but only if we are properly dressed. First task was shrink the beret (hot water, then cold, then shape it onto your heed and walk around like a cant for a couple of hours while it dried). Second, scrape your no 2 shirt collar with a stanley blade to make it look..........less like one worn by a nigg. Third, wash out all the 'special' dyes and chemicals from your combats...then take them to a char-wallah or tailor for 'taking in'. Now your ready! ETA, forgot about the 'elastics'.......

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I am reliably informed by an experienced documentary film director, that the reason the 'beret boys' in this type of film look like total ******* is that the company's who provide the 'props' and uniforms demand the items are returned in the same condition they were issued - otherwise there is a hefty cost penalty (including the cost of sourcing, ordering, and receiving new stock). Though it might seem inconsequential, there are so many interested parties involved in the productions who have a hand in the budgetary trough that such things are taken mighty seriously.
I worked for a casting company a few years ago. I informed them that I was an ex squaddie, got asked if I still had my own uniform (some extras do this stuff on a regular basis so do have a collection of uniforms), told them that I only had my beret, which recieved a "hmm, OK". When I turned up for a shoot one day for a film, I lknew it was mil based so took my own beret with me, was given a set of combats, took the badge off the HLP they gave me and placed it on my own perfectly shaped lid and cracked on. I got a couple of comments about the beret, to which I replied that if they actually had a "military consultant" who'd actually served, you wouldn't see any of the abortions pretending to be berets around the set, didn't go down too well!

I worked for a casting company a few years ago. I informed them that I was an ex squaddie, got asked if I still had my own uniform (some extras do this stuff on a regular basis so do have a collection of uniforms), told them that I only had my beret, which recieved a "hmm, OK". When I turned up for a shoot one day for a film, I lknew it was mil based so took my own beret with me, was given a set of combats, took the badge off the HLP they gave me and placed it on my own perfectly shaped lid and cracked on. I got a couple of comments about the beret, to which I replied that if they actually had a "military consultant" who'd actually served, you wouldn't see any of the abortions pretending to be berets around the set, didn't go down too well!
I have little doubt that most of the people involved in making military historical documentaries or movies involving the British Army since 1945, have no interest in depicting competent professional soldiers. They are more likely to work for the same left-leaning organizations that generally defecate on the said military so as to fall in line with either/both their editorial line or like-minded social contacts.

ETA - in doing what they do the silly buggers merely reinforce the view that 'bad apples' among the 'depicted abortions' were the problem and thus fail to even recognize that most military disasters emerge from poor leadership or planning at the top of the hierarchy and/or more usually, from incompetent policy formulated within the body politic. And they have the cheek to call it 'news' or 'research'!

Last edited:
I am reliably informed by an experienced documentary film director, that the reason the 'beret boys' in this type of film look like total ******* is that the company's who provide the 'props' and uniforms demand the items are returned in the same condition they were issued - otherwise there is a hefty cost penalty (including the cost of sourcing, ordering, and receiving new stock). Though it might seem inconsequential, there are so many interested parties involved in the productions who have a hand in the budgetary trough that such things are taken mighty seriously.
That might be the case, but it wasn't deemed important by the production team that made Robson & Jerome household names in Soldier Soldier

That might be the case, but it wasn't deemed important by the production team that made Robson & Jerome household names in Soldier Soldier
True enough from what I can recall (didn't watch it much) but what I do seem to recall is that it was more about life in the army rather than some political theme. Of course, it is not beyond the realms of possibility that it was precisely that - albeit that between 91-97 when it was made there were behind the scenes moves towards peace in NI - perhaps a different viewpoint was being made/portrayed. But yes, you are correct.

syrup

LE

Soldier Soldier was made with the Mod's Co-operation and had a military officer as advisor.
I was in Soldier Soldier 4 in Cyprus and all the extras were lads from the local bases.
Cheeky £100 per day (plus food) for simplify turning up in uniform and wandering about

Soldier Soldier was made with the Mod's Co-operation and had a military officer as advisor.
I was in Soldier Soldier 4 in Cyprus and all the extras were lads from the local bases.
Cheeky £100 per day (plus food) for simplify turning up in uniform and wandering about
That's quite enough about my last few years of serving before I was put out to pasture, thank you.

diehard57

War Hero
View attachment 597880
Who'd have thought it ,even the Taliban have KF shirts,(Kaftan,Formal).
For a moment I thought he was Drooper from the Banana Splits - all together now - La La La, La-La La La, La La La, La-La La La….
DFDB6187-6682-4C02-8A91-2D1FA95C619A.jpeg

They were more disciplined than us

We all had to have haircuts before we were allowed on set and one of my mates was asked if he could smarten himself up a bit by the civvie producer
Thread drift from me admittedly but reminds me of a true dit.

I had a colleague who was doing his second tour as a Lt at phase 1 trg in Pirbright.

I went to see him for a brew one day (circa 2000's) and he told me straight up that a TV company, one of the big ones, was doing some WW2 period drama or something at his location and they had to refurbish and paint the outside of the recruits accommodation as it was too tatty for the 1940's/50's programme they were making.

Unfortunately I was not surprised.

TamH70

MIA

Is yon video showing the same Azerbaijani military folks that skull fucked the Armenians in their latest war with all that schmexy artillery and drone stuff? Showing in the video footage of them skull ******* the Armenians in their latest war with all that schmexy artillery and drone stuff?

Hard to see what's funny about that, to be honest. It's a very impressive bit of propaganda, rammed right up Armenia's arse.

Latest Threads